Chapter 4: Run With Me

"Rachel, Elena's dad is here, time to go!" my mom yelled down the stairs at me.

"Okay, coming!" I ran upstairs and grabbed my cooler from the freezer, "Love you mom, love you em" I kissed my mom on the cheek and my sister on the top of her head as she looked up from her book.

"Good luck Rachel, do good!" Emily called after me.

I smiled back at her and ran out the door to Elena's car. I hopped in the back seat and we drove away as I buckled up and started chatting with Elena.

"So I heard that Anchor High has a really intense 50m team, but weak relay. And Minly has a bad 50m but the only reason they got in was because of their 100m runner, Vanessa Summers" She made a face, "and Gildwood's boys are the best in their district, so I really don't know how we're going to do in this competition"

"Elena we'll be fine, stop stressing out! We'll do great just like every other track meet so far. Just don't worry about it and we'll be the best we can"

She rolled her eyes and turned back around, spinning briefly to stick her tongue out at me before popping in her headphones.

I stuck my tongue out at the back of her head before putting my headphones in to get pumped up for the meet. Now, this meet was supposed to be a big deal, it was Sectionals, and whoever won here got to go one to Provincials. The way the meets work is that not your whole team has to win, but if you won first place in 100m dash, then only you would go on even if the rest of your team didn't win. Elena was running in the girls age 17 50m dash, I competed in the girls age 17 100m dash, and we were both on the girls age 17 400m relay. Jeremy was in the boys age 17 100m dash as well as boys age 17 400m relay. We always went out after a meet to celebrate each other. I loved this reward, so it always pushed me extra hard. I know that he would take me out no matter how I did, but I liked to go out knowing that I earned it.

Suddenly I was snapped out of my daze when we stopped. I looked out and realised we were here, Dubley Stadium. I got out, grabbed my bags and shut the door. Looking around, I noted that this definitely looked like a Sectionals stadium. There were lots of people already in the sleek, aluminum bleachers. I could also see all the teams in their respected areas. Scanning the blue and white section for our school, I spotted Jeremy laughing at something Aiden was saying. Wow, I thought, I can't believe he's mine.

"Rachel!" Elena's voice snapped me back to reality, "Come on, already let's go!" she walked off and I jogged a bit to catch up.

"Soon you can see lover boy right up close and personal" she wiggled her eyebrows, "but we have to get up there first"

I smirked and rolled my eyes at her as we made our way over to our team.

*************************************************************************************************

"GO ELENA, GO GO GO!!!!!" Elena was currently running her heat to see if she would qualify for finals. I, honestly had no doubt in my mind that she would. She was an amazing runner and I know she's going to win this whole thing.

Elena pushed off and dashed ahead of the others. One of the Anchor High competitors caught up to her and was right on her tail but she must have sensed it because she pushed ahead one final time across the finish line

"YEEEAAHHHH ELENA WHOOOOOOO!!!!" I screamed, jumping up and down with my hands in the air and high fiving one of the other track girls.

She turned to me and made a fist in the air before turning to the organiser, telling her where to go to give her name.

Suddenly I heard the speaker announce the first call for my final. I had already managed to win my first race and was now advancing into the finals. Jeremy had also made it into the finals for his race, and I had no doubt that he wouldn't win. I turned and went to the coach who was making sure the other girls were all there, too. I squared my shoulders and began walking to the staircase when I felt myself being lifted off the ground. I smiled as he put me down. I turned around as my feet hit the ground and saw a pouting Jeremy standing there.