Hands

A/N: This one-shot comes from a dream I had a little while ago. I was discussing it on Skype with a friend, well... more like I was rambling and she was trying not to tell me how weird I am, but anyway, yeah... This happened. So... Read and enjoy! Or not... You know... Up to you... XDD

"I'm going to get you, Wally!" Dick, or rather Robin, yelled, running through the Mountain in search of his friend. What Wally had done this time can be left to the imagination, but it was enough to make the young hero absolutely furious.

As Dick turned a corner, he saw a flash of orange and black, causing him to freeze in his steps and turn, looking around warily. "Who's there?" He asked, pulling out a birdarang and holding it, ready to throw it the moment he saw the intruder.

A dark chuckle sounded from the shadows, and a man stepped out of the shadows, wearing an orange and black mask.

Dick paled, gripping his weapon tighter. "Deathstroke." He spat, glowering at the assassin through his mask. "What do you want?"

Deathstroke pulled out a sword. "Now, now, Apprentice. That's no way to greet your Master. Why don't you drop the weapon and apologize. Now." He said, his voice cold.

Dick threw the birdarang at him, quickly pulling out another one. "I'm no apprentice of yours." He hissed, trying to hide his rising panic as Deathstroke easily dodged the weapon, stepping forward.

"I said to drop the weapon and apologize." He said, sounding dangerously calm. "If you don't do it right now, I am going to have to punish you... You do remember what I do when you don't drop something, right?"

Dick paled slightly, his eyes going wide beneath his mask as he went into a flashback of his time spent as Deathstroke's apprentice.

"Drop the weapon, Apprentice." Deathstroke ordered, glowering at the young boy who had tried yet again to escape.

Dick shook his head. "N-no! I won't listen to you! I'm not your apprentice!" He yelled, attacking him. Deathstroke easily sidestepped the attack, kicking the boy hard in the side, sending him flying into the wall. He sunk to the ground, still clutching the weapon tightly.

Deathstroke sighed softly, coming over to him and pinning him to the ground, raising his sword over the boy's hand. "Silly Apprentice. Someday you're going to learn to obey me, but until then, I guess I'll just have to continue punishing you." He said, slowly bringing the sword down, the sharp metal cutting through his skin, severing the tendons and muscles, and sliding through the bone easily.

Dick cried out, writing in agony as his limb was severed, watching with terrified eyes as the blood gushed out of the wound. He passed out moments after his hand was removed, going limp, blood continuing to flood from the stump of his arm.

When Dick came to, he was strapped to a chair in the infirmary. He looked around and saw Deathstroke sitting next to him. Deathstroke noticed that he was awake and stood, removing the severed hand from a container designed to keep it fresh. Dick paled, staring at the stump of his arm and then looking back at the hand.

Deathstroke pulled out some medical equipment and unwrapped Dick's stump of an arm, positioning the severed hand again the stump and starting to sew it back on. Dick bit his lip hard, trying not to scream at the pain from his arm, tasting blood in his mouth as he bit his lip to hard.

Eventually Deathstroke finished and wrapped the arm again, pulling out a syringe. "I can't have an apprentice without a hand, now can I?" He asked, chuckling darkly as he injected the syringe into Dick's neck.

The boy writhed as the liquid from the Lazarus pit entered his blood system, slowly and painfully healing his wounds. He passed out again, the darkness of unconsciousness welcoming him into its depths.

When he woke up, he was back in his cell, and his hand was completely reattached, almost as if nothing had happened. But it had, and the memory of that pain stayed with him throughout his time with Deathstroke, nightmares of that event haunting him for years afterwards.

Dick snapped out of the flashback just as the sword swung down, the blade stopping barely an inch over the skin of his hand. His eyes widened and he sunk to his knees, cradling his arm to his chest and looking around for whatever had stopped the blade from cutting off his hand. He looked relived as he saw Martian Manhunter, Superman, Flash, Aquaman, and Batman advancing on the mercenary, Martian Manhunter's powers obviously having stopped the sword, freezing it in place.

The Leaguers attacked Deathstroke, the mercenary quickly retreating back into the shadows. Kid Flash rushed over to Dick, hugging him tightly. Out of all of the Team, he was the only one who knew most of what happened between Dick and Deathstroke, so he was the only one who knew exactly how upset an attack from him would make Dick.

"Are you okay?" He asked softly, looking at his best friend, worry evident in his eyes.

Dick waved him off, standing shakily. "I'm fine... He didn't hurt me." Batman came back, pushing Wally away and wrapping Dick in a tight hug, holding the boy close to him and glaring at everyone else.

"We're going back to the Batcave. I'll discuss how this happened with all of you later." He said, stalking over to the Zeta tubes, still hugging the shaken boy close. He murmured soothing words to his protégé, taking him back to the Batcave, not letting go of him for a moment.

"I'm going to kill him." He growled softly, his words making Dick smile faintly. The fact that Batman would be ready to break his no kill rule for the boy, made him feel safe, and he turned around, hugging his mentor and father figure.

"Thankyou, Bruce..." He mumbled, smiling slightly as the Dark Knight stroked his hair comfortingly.

"Anything for you... son..."