Blogophilia 45.4 Topic: Angels in the Snow

What is Blogophilia?  It's a highly addictive blogging group where once a week, fellow writers submit topics, link their posts via Facebook or Myspace, and incorporate the weekly prompts into a blog post using whatever style or format they wish.  It's a great way to clear out the mental cobwebs.

This is my fourth Blogophilia post!  :)

Blogophilia 45.4 Topic: Angels in the Snow

Bonus Points:

(Hard, 2pts): use a pick-up line

(Easy, 1pt): include "rules are meant to be broken"

*************************************************************************

“Mommy!  Mommy!  Look!  Look!”  Stella bounced up and down, compressing snow underneath her boots.  Her orange snowsuit made her look like a tangerine.  “I made a snow girl!”

“Mom!  Mom!  Look at me!  I’m going to make a snow fort!”  Patrick waved his gloved hands in the air to get Lara’s attention.

“Yes!  Yes!  I love your snow girl.  Great idea.  We need a snow fort.”  Lara grinned at her children, thankful to have the week off from work.  She needed the vacation time to unwind at home.  The holidays were finally over with.  She hadn’t experienced very much quality time with her husband and kids since Thanksgiving.  Between work, shopping, decorating, and all the other meaningless nonsense that had been occupying her time, Lara knew her family was missing her almost as much as she was missing them.

Lara found an undisturbed area of snow and carefully laid on her back in the wet snow bank.  She felt a little foolish, but pushed her embarrassment aside as she moved her arms up and down, while at the same time, she moved her legs in and out.  It had been ages since Lara had made angels in the snow.  She instantly felt ten years younger.  The sky was a brilliant blue, with only an occasional cloud here and there.

“Kids!  Kids!” Lara giggled.  “Look at me!  Look at me!”  She knew Patrick was rolling his eyes but Stella squealed in delight.

“Watch me!  Watch me!  I can make one too!”  Stella flopped herself on the ground.  Lara laughed at her exuberance.  “See!  I can make one too!”

“You’re not even doing it right,” her brother shouted.  “I’ll show you how to make a real snow angel.”

Lara let out a sigh, wishing Patrick wasn’t so bossy with his younger sister.  They’d managed to build a snow boy, a snow girl, and a snow dog, with hardly a squabble.  She knew it was probably asking too much for her children to get along for an entire day.  They were all getting tired.  That’s when things usually got ugly between the siblings.

Lara attempted to get up out of the small snow crater created by her body’s impression, when she heard crunching footsteps coming up from behind her.

“Hey, good looking.  Is this a private party, or can anyone join?”

Lara smiled.  The kids had been so noisy; she hadn’t even heard the car pull up into the driveway.  “I don’t know.  What’s the secret password?”

“Password?  Hmm…hot chocolate?”

“Only if you’re making it,” Lara teased.  She took her husband’s hand when he offered it, launching Lara to her feet.

“Daddy!  Daddy!  Daddy!  I want hot chocolate too!”

“Me too, Dad!  Me too!”

“After dinner,” Lara said.  “You know the rules about treats.  Hot chocolate is a treat.”