People were wondering about you and Wirt? Most of the time, they ignored or mocked you, but then something happens and they care? You could see people like Jason Funderberker caring; even though a little awkward, he was a decent person. But he seemed to imply more than just his group of friends. How strange the world is. A puzzle you didn't have the patience to solve.

Lunch ended, and you continued your classes. You and Wirt had only one class together, but you sat far apart, so it was no different than any other class. After school ended, you headed to the bus. Wirt caught up with you.

"If you want to wait, G-g-greg will ride the next bus with us," he told you.

"Sure," you smiled. "Your mom wants him with you, huh?"

"Yeah, she worries easily," he replied.

You two waited as the first bus drove off. Soon after Greg came skipping up to you two.

"(Y/n), are you going to ride the bus with us?" he asked excitedly.

"Sure am," you told him.

"Yay!" He turned to Wirt. "Did you-"

"Yes, I g-g-gave her the box," Wirt interrupted.

"I made the box," Greg grinned.

"It's lovely," you informed him. "I will open it tonight."

Greg smiled and almost bounced out of his shoes while you three waited. The bus arrived and Greg bounded up the steps. He waited for you and Wirt at the top and walked down the aisle until you two sat down. Wirt sat by the window, and you sat at the aisle seat.

"Here," you extended a hand to Greg and pulled him onto your lap. You put his book bag next to yours and looked down at the little guy.

"Today we learned about how plants make their food," Greg told you. "They use photosynthesis. They need sun, water, air, and the green stuff in their leaves. And tomorrow we get to start growing our own plants!"

"Wow," you responded. "How exciting!"

He went on talking about the other things he learned and did. You only half-listened. Things were still nagging at your mind. Things you wanted to have go away. At this point, you knew things would never be back to how they were, but you didn't know what life would be like. You hoped to always be friends with Wirt, but you figured that wouldn't change. You hoped you could get back on a schedule, but that wouldn't be too hard. It was the things you couldn't plan for that were on your mind, the things you couldn't see coming.

You thought about the Unknown and all that had happened. No one but Wirt and maybe eventually Greg would understand that. People were happy there, but they were also dead. You thought of the teacher and her students, Quincy Endicott and his wife, the tavern full of wild townsfolk, Anna and the Woodsman. These people brought about a sigh. You missed the short amount of time spent there, but you were glad to be back home.

You hadn't told your parents about the land you remembered seeing. The memory was hazy, but it had definitely happened. Your parents wouldn't believe you; your brother would never believe you; doctors would call you crazy. The only person you would be able to talk to is Wirt.

You glanced over at him. He leaned his head against the window and looked out silently. You turned your attention back to Greg for the rest of the short ride.

That night, after dinner, you went up to your room and took out the colorful box Wirt gave you. You took your first good look at the box itself.

It had wiggly stripes, polka dots, and stars in an array of different colors from green to orange to purple. You carefully removed the lid and looked inside. A blue piece of paper sat inside. It was folded into the shape of a bird. You removed the bird and found that a note lay at the bottom of the small box.

You were right, we can face our fears as a team. Doing it alone
can be hard, but we can do anything together. Thank you for
showing me that whether it's returning to school or making a
paper bird despite the memories, I can do anything with
someone to turn to.
PS. Greg doesn't know I put this in here.
                                                                          -Wirt

You read the note twice before it processed. You looked at the paper bird. That one piece of paper had more meaning than anyone else could ever understand. That paper bird represented strength; it represented courage; and it represented friendship. In one piece of insignificant paper lay an endless world of meaning, meaning known to you and Wirt alone.

One day, when Greg is older, he too will be able to see the meaning in it. He will see the hardships suffered by you two. He will see the hardships that he dodged in his ignorant innocence. He will be able to look upon that bird and see memories of hardships overcome.

The three kids who had escaped death would see what no one else could. They would see how in one moment a world could change forever, how with only a few words nightmares could be awoken, how an obsolete paper bird could have meaning. They would understand what it meant to be there for someone.

And yet all that has been told and all that wasn't said, the story of a girl named (y/n) and a boy named Wirt, will become obsolete in itself. And only those who cared to hear their story will remember the journey they overcame. Only those who know the story will see meaning in paper, find beauty in the insignificant, linger on the things no one notices. Only those who listened and heard will find true meaning when they hear of old friends.