Chapter 9

Halloween was almost a week passed, and Wirt's reveal to you hadn't been as big of a hindrance as you'd expected. You two actually didn't talk about it much.Now that it was the end of the year, the holidays were beginning to roll in. Next up, Thanksgiving. Normally you traveled upstate to spend time with family, but this Thanksgiving, your family decided to stay in town.

Thanksgiving was in less than three weeks, and you were still deciding what to make. You always made something to stick on the wall. What are You Thankful for? type of thing. You'd done cut outs of leaves to stick to a tree drawing, cut outs of fruits to put in a paper cornucopia, and things like that. This year, you played with the idea of cutting out turkey feathers to tape onto a paper turkey. No matter what you chose, it wouldn't take long to make since it was paper.

It was a Friday, and you were finishing your homework, as not to have any for the weekend. You were just finishing up your essay questions when (b/n) came through your open door.

"Greg's mom is on the phone for you," he told you. You hadn't even heard the phone ring.

"Alright, give me like ten seconds to finish this sentence." You finished and went to the phone.

You expected her to ask you to babysit as you picked up the receiver, "Hello?"

"(Y/n)?"

"Yes," you prompted.

"Is Wirt with you?"

You paused as the question sank in. "No," you replied hesitantly.

"Have you talked to him lately?" Her voice was spiced with concern.

"I-" you thought. You hadn't talked to him at school that day. "I haven't talked to him today." You paused again. "Is something the matter?"

"Well, he hasn't come home yet," she paused. "No need to worry yourself, dear. He'll be back."

She quickly said a farewell and hung up. You donned a jacket and went your parents.

"Hey, uh, I'm going to take a walk, alright?" you told them.

They nodded, signaling you to go. You quickly left the house and walked down the street to the park. That was the place you began your search. Wirt was your friend; if he was upset or lost or in trouble, it was your duty to try to help him.

You checked all the places you could think of; you even walked by the school. You racked your brain for where he could be. Then a thought occurred; it was a long shot, but you had no reason not to check.

You made your way to the cemetery. You read the large sign: Eternal Garden. You began to stroll the path. So many tombstones rose above the earth; a fog was beginning to settle in. Soon, you saw a form and approached cautiously. The form came into focus as Wirt.

"Hey," you said softly, trying not to spook him. He was almost non-responsive. He mumbled something as you came up next to him. You read the tombstone he was staring at: Quincy Endicott.

"We met him," Wirt said quietly.

"The tea man, right?" You replied.

"Yeah," he sighed. "The tea man."

The two of you stood in silence for a long time, staring at the name. You eventually put a hand on his shoulder.

"Your mom's worried about you," you told him kindly.

Wirt hardly batted an eye; he only stared at the name. You looked at his face; it would appear void of emotions to anyone who hadn't known him for years. To you, however, emotions were plastered in every corner of his face. The tombstone was definitely bothering him.

You began to put things together. If Quincy Endicott was dead in this world, and they met him in the other world. You expected a gasp, a jump, something, but your reaction was similar to Wirt's. You stood stone still. You didn't want to think about it, but you couldn't push it away.

You removed your hand from Wirt's shoulder and placed it around both. You gave him one of those side hugs in an attempt to comfort him.

After some time, he broke his gaze from the weathered headstone and looked at you. "(Y/n)?"

"Yeah," you replied, looking forward.

"Don't mention it to Greg," he requested.

"Of course not," you assured him. You stayed a quiet a little more, but then spoke up, "Let's get you home. It will be dark soon, you know."

You shifted your arm from his shoulders in order to grab his hand. You led him gently through the graveyard and out the metal gates. You walked him down the misty streets to his house.

After knocking on the door you told him, "Just call me anytime. I'm always here for you."

His mother opened the door. Upon seeing Wirt, her face was flooded with relief and inquiry, but mostly relief. She thanked you and ushered Wirt inside.

You made your exit and walked home. Your parents would be a little upset you had taken so long, but you weren't thinking about that. Your mind was still on the tombstone. The image was cemented in your mind.

No date, no epitaph. Just the name.

Quincy Endicott