Chapter 8 - Halloween Special

Halloween. You and Wirt had agreed that you'd meet at the park dressed up and just go from there to whatever you were going to do.

Trick-or-treating, which your mom said you were too old for, but come on, free candy! There had been rumors of a party, but no invitations. You assumed it was a free roam kind of thing; anyone who comes is welcome, but actually going was still up for debate in your mind. Maybe you two would just roam around and talk. No matter what happened, you were excited. You got to dress up as a spectacular character with an awesome friend on a fun day of the year. What more could you ask for?

You prepared your costume well before Wirt would arrive. Your parents had given you a flexible curfew; they said roughly 10:30, but they wouldn't freak out if you were a little late. You were with Wirt, and they trusted him. They just wanted you to give them a little update when you had decided things: leaving the park, going trick-or-treating, those kinds of things.

You left your room after fixing your hair for the fifteenth time. Your brother had lightened up some, but was still a little upset with you. You decided now was as good a time as ever to clear the water with him.

You went up to his room and knocked on the door. A muffled "Yeah" came from inside.

"Can I come in?" you asked.

A pause ensued before another "Yeah" sounded. You opened the door and glanced around for (b/n). He was sitting on his bed, watching something on the computer.

"Is there something you wanted?" he glanced up at you.

"Just wanted to say hey, I guess," you said.

"Okay. Well..." he looked at you as if you'd already overstayed your welcome.

"Look," you began. "I know you've been a little upset with me for not hanging out with all the time." You paused. "But I'm clear now, if you want to do something."

"Well, I'm kind of busy," he said. You looked the computer. He was probably just watching another game-play youtuber.

You sighed. "Yeah, I guess." You proceeded to leave his room. You walked by your parents' office and saw them both doing something. Your mom was watching the football game, and your dad was typing something, probably important. You continued through the house until ending back up at your room.

You kept adjusting your costume until you decided to watch something mindless. You spent quite some time watching a dumb sitcom. Before you knew it, it was 2:50. You finished your episode and made your way to the living room. You stashed a trick-or-treat bag on your person in case you needed it. It was, again, Wirt's turn to come to your house. You awaited his arrival almost impatiently.

When the knock came to the door, you had to will yourself not to sprint. After getting to the door in a reasonable amount of time, you told your parents you were leaving and headed out. You smiled at Wirt's costume as you walked. It had really come together well. He wasn't wearing shorts, but his mom probably worried about the cold as well. At that, you felt the need to explain why you were in pants.

"My mom thought it would be too cold for a skirt," you said, gesturing to your brightly colored pants.

"My mom, too, but about the shorts," he added the last bit rather quickly.

"It still looks fine," you assured him.

"Yours, too," he said.

You smiled. "The sweater's kind of tacky, but that's about right, isn't it?"

"Pretty much," he smiled. "But I like it."

You two sat on your bench and looked at the trees. For the first time in a long time, a silence fell between you.