04 ~ I'm Not Giving Up On You

One week later, Dean was in town picking up an order Bobby had made from the hardware store when he received a text from his dad;

Dad: Hi Dean your mum is working late and as you know I'm going away for the weekend so can you pick up some things from the supermarket? I've left a list and some money with Bobby.

Dean: sure, I'm heading back to him right now then I'll get the stuff.

Dad: thanks

"Here's the order," a large man grunted as he hauled a large box out from the back of the store.

"Thanks," Dean smiled, "Bobby said he payed in advance so I'll just take it over to him now."

The man nodded and let Dean take the box before returning to his computer. Dean grabbed the huge cardboard box and carried it out of the store and over to the Impala where he placed it on the passenger seats. A few minutes later, he was back at the garage.

"Thanks, Dean," Bobby said as he took the box from him and placed it on the table, "The money and list your father told me to give you are on the desk."

"OK, well, I'd better head off," Dean replied, "I'll see you on Monday!"

He left Bobby to sort out the order of car parts and returned to his own car, money and the shopping list in the pocket of his jeans. The supermarket was just down the road so Dean drove there quickly, parking as close to the store as possible. He walked inside, the glass doors sliding open before him. As it was a Saturday evening, the store was relatively empty - people preferred to do their food shopping on a Tuesday or Wednesday evening.

As Dean walked around, the smallest things provoked thoughts of his soulmate. He wondered which cereals Castiel bought the most often; did he like sugary, chocolate-y ones or healthy fruity ones? As he picked up some frozen peas, he wanted to know if Cas liked vegetables as much as Sam or whether he despised them like Dean. He wondered if Cas had any allergies or whether he followed any specific diet. But every time one of these thoughts pushed their way into the front of his mind, Dean would push them right out again. Sometimes, he would get lost in them though, as he did when he got to the checkouts. Whilst he piled the food, toiletries and a few packs of cheap socks onto checkout number 14, he let the thoughts occupy his mind. He imagined what would happen if Castiel saw him as he was paying for his shopping. Would he say hello? Or would he ignore him?

"Hello, Dean."

Dean froze, his gaze snapping up from the shopping. Sure enough, Castiel was sat in the chair behind the checkout, his uniform slightly crumpled and his dark hair perfectly messy.

"I- uh... Hi, Cas..." Dean mumbled, "What're you doing here?" Although he may have just been thinking about a scenario similar to this, he hadn't actually been prepared for it to happen.

"I work here when I'm not at school." Castiel began scanning the items, but his gaze was still fixed on Dean.

"Why are you staring at me like that?" Dean asked. He hadn't meant that question to come out as grumpily as it had.

"I'm just wondering whether you're going to apologise for running off and spoiling my shoes - they were brand new by the way - or whether you're just going to act like nothing happened," Castiel replied as he roughly grabbed the bag of frozen peas. He was clearly pissed.

"Look, man, I'm sorry, I really am," Dean sighed, "I know I was a dick to run off like that but you've got to understand that I really wasn't expecting you to be... well..."