Chapter 17

I was sat in Rubian's office about an hour after Tristan and I were discovered in the woods. Tristan was sat in a chair next to me. He hadn't opened his mouth since we got here. I had attempted to make conversation but my words were just ignored.

Rubian and Mitch were having a heated argument in the latter's office about what was going to happen. Mitch was ready for throwing me out and leaving me to fend for myself but Rubian was arguing another idea – I had no idea what. "How long does it take for two wolves to argue?" Tristan asked me. These had been the first words he had spoken and I hadn't expected them to be nice ones.

"Depends on the argument." I answered.

"Why doesn't one of them just kill the other and end it."

"Because that would be pointless and totally against the rules."

"How would you know?"

"My dad was a werewolf and I can read." Tristan didn't answer. In fact, he didn't move again until the door opened behind us. Luckily, it wasn't Mitch who came in the room.

"We've come to an agreement." Rubian said, sitting down opposite us.

"Took you long enough." Tristan snorted. Rubian ignored him and continued.

"Summer, you're going to have to stay with the Malstrofs for the time being."

"WHAT?" Tristan and I yelled at the same time, Tristan half standing as he did so.

"Please sit down, Tristan." Rubian said tiredly. "We have already messaged your father and he agreed."

"Why am I going there?" I asked.

"Mitch wanted to throw you out of the pack altogether for meeting a vampire in secret and planning to Challenge him. He also accused you of planning the vampire attack with the Malstrofs and thinks that their house is where you belong."

"But I didn't plan anything with them!" I argued. "Why should I have to leave based on his biased opinion?"

"Summer, we found you with Tristan today and you told us you were planning on Challenging Mitch. Mitch believes that because you were found doing that then you wanted to destroy the pack from the beginning and is trying to blame the attack on you. I also think you should take a break from the Pack House and being around us. However, you couldn't go far in case your care worker decided to come and check up on you so Mitch and I agreed that the Malstrof's house was far enough away but not too far for you to go."

"But you know what they're like! You know who they are, what they did! How can you make me live with them? Lucentio killed my parents!"

"You don't have a choice."

I opened my mouth to argue but I closed it and slumped back in my chair in defeat. If Rubian wanted me to go then I had no choice. I looked at Tristan to see how he was reacting but he was staring fixedly at the wall in front of him. Rubian sighed.

"Tristan, your father agreed on this. You have no choice but I would like you to take Summer back to your house with you today." Rubian turned back to me. "Maddie and Jasper have started to pack for you." He said.

"How long will I have to stay there for?"

"As long as it takes for you to come to a decision."

"What decision is that?" I asked.

"Whether you really want to Challenge Mitch or not."

Maddie let go of me and stepped back. "We're gonna miss you." She said.