Chapter 4

I twirled around trying to find where the voice was coming from.

Then something moved...

"What I want to know is why you're calling me a stupid bird when you can't even cover your own scent." The voice spoke again. I stared at the spot where something had moved, trying to see if someone was there. "Are you going to answer me?" Breath tickled the back of my neck. I flinched and spun around, sending a spell to keep whoever it was trapped in their place.

I came face to face with the eyes of someone who I never wanted to see again. "Hello, again!" A creepy smile spread across his face, distorting the silver sliver of a scar just above his lip. I wanted to scream in fear at the same time as lash out at him with anger. He stood there calmly even though the binding spell I had put on him must be hurting him.

"You...how dare you?"

"How dare I? How dare I do what?"

"You know! You know what I'm on about!" I screamed. "It's your fault! It's all your fault!"

"My fault about what?" The smile had turned to a smirk. Tears blurred my vision.

"Don't you dare pretend you don't know what I'm on about! Don't you DARE!"

"Remind me..." The smirk grew wider.

"You...You killed my parents! And then you laughed once it was done. You laughed! How could you laugh? You'd just killed someone and you laughed. What sick person does that?" Tears were streaming down my face. My fear of the man in front of me - or should I even call him a man? - was gone. "You laughed while they died for no apparent reason other than for your entertainment!"

I fell to my knees and covered my face with my hands. The binding spell I had cast on the monster fell apart at the same time I did. Still, he didn't move. I no longer cared. He could kill me for all I cared. At least then I would be with my parents.

"Summer!" I heard Rubian call in the distance. He sounded faint. He couldn't be here anyway - he was back at the Pack House. "Summer!" I heard him shout. He was closer now but his voice still sounded blurry. I heard twigs snap as someone approached. "Lucentio..." Rubian paused. "What are you doing here? What have you done to her?" Rubian demanded.

"I, I have done nothing." Lucian said, the smile still on his face. "She brought all this on herself."

"Please forgive me if I don't quite believe you." Rubian said, kneeling down by my side. It still felt like I was separate from everyone else - like they were in another world and that I was fading away from it. "Summer, are you okay?" I didn't respond. I couldn't move. "Lucentio, I swear to whatever being you vampires believe in, if you've done anything to Summer, I will stake you."

"I have done nothing to her." Lucentio assured Rubian. "She started to yell and started to cry. I did nothing."

"It's all your fault!" I managed to whimper.

"It's okay, it's okay." It was Rubian's turn to reassure this time. "Come on, we'll get you back to the Pack House." He helped me up but it felt like I couldn't feel anything.

I vaguely remember being carried somewhere and then being laid down on something soft but I was still unconscious to my surroundings. I didn't know why I was like this. Had that monster done something to me without me knowing? Or had I brought this on myself? I was in no state to answer these questions. Slowly but surely I could feel my eyes droop lower and lower until they were fully shut and I was encased in darkness.

Then the nightmare began.

"Darling, go inside for me, please?" Mum begged of me.

"But why, Mummy?" I asked, my seven-year-old-self had a slight whine to her voice.