~16~ Pride goeth before the Fall

Start bij het begin

After seeing the freshmen in the pool, I can also now confirm that ol' Aces was in fact right about one thing at least. None of the other San Fall kids have any ink at all, not even tribal tattoos, or at least not any of the freshman. By the time I hit my first day of high school, I had both Setting Sun cartouche and the lightning bolt on my elbows. Even before the War on Hate, I was a Set for life with Kings X's over my heart and red Nautical Star in opposition. The Setting Sun rocker with Skull and Bones on my back and my necklaced battle motto came later. After that war ended abruptly with the meth-death of the shitheads in question. Best Christmas Ever!  

Unfortunately for me, the moment I walk out of the showers I also find Buzzy, Brad'n'Chad waiting for me to have a little man-to-man talking time. Ol Buzzard narrowed eyes, making him look like a calculating greedy horse trader that just found a thoroughbred at the slaughterhouse on the cheap. Brad has adopted his standard friendly "It's all cool in the pool" chill-tastic persona. But of course, Chad looks completely pissed off at being forced to deal with me at a disadvantage, yet again.

"I didn't know that you could fish kick, that is seriously impressive Darren." Brad tries to get past the hostility with all his super chillaxe friendly.

"Not interested." I intone coldly, cutting down his chill.

"Well, we need a word with you, Darren." Buzzy immediately starts in wheeling and dealing.

"No, we don't ...Buzz off." I retort bluntly pushing past the trio of plungers towards my locker.

"Look Darren, I know we've had our differences over the summer. But I think we can push past that and..." Buzzy starts trailing me down the rows towards my locker.

"Not interested in your pushing, Buzzard." I drone.

"That's Coach Dietrich to you, Princess." Chad cuts in unhelpfully.

"No, that's some creepy old dude in speedos hanging out in the boy's locker room trying to creep on kids in the showers. You know that thing you're supposed to be here to prevent, not charge admission for you psycho?" I hard eye Chad to see what his next move is in our hate dance, and thankfully Chad is so predictable it hurts.

"I'll haul you up to the office so fast for disrespecting a..." He immediately starts to threaten.

"I dare you." I seethe right back in on him hard. "So how you gonna start that shitshow off Chod?"

"So I was just stalking through the locker room with Buzzard and Brad checking out all the fresh new meat in the showers. When suddenly I saw the guy who took my winter job at the Annex away? But then he kicked my ass for no other reason than he can? Just ask the fifty kids who witnessed me screaming like a little girl, begging for my life like a little bitch?" I eye bone him hard, baiting him to take the shot he so desperately wants to take. When it's clear his cowardice overwhelms his petulance, he takes a small step back.

"Yeah, that's what I thought." I snort in derision and pull on my jeans under the wet towel, that I ball up and throw back into the locker with my wet trunks.

"Will you just calm down for a second and listen to what we have to say? You don't know what I am trying to do for you here..." Buzzy tries to start again before this hostile interaction devolves into a fistfight. Then all his hopes and dreams of using me evaporate with my expulsion from this hellhole.

"Not interested in anything any of you have to say." I turn my cold glare on Aces war buddy Buzzy. "As far as I'm concerned we pretty much said everything there was to say after our short time together this summer. Or did you suddenly forget you basically fired me for saving that kids life?"