Giraffes

He draws cartoons of himself riding a giraffe on each piece of paper he uses. It's his calling card. His signature. He's known all around school for it and people have tried to mimic his originality in the forms of other cartoons. But they failed.

At first, it amused the teachers. They'd give him extra credit. A plus one tacked to the bottom of his assignments in their red ink of authority. Then it got old. They'd leave notes like "nice try," or draw pictures back in response like a background or some monster for it to fight. But he kept it up.

He had a nickname about it too at one point. It lasted a week or two then died out. Giraffes are his thing. He's just known to do it. I'm not even sure he writes his name at the top of his papers anymore.

You sit in front of me in homeroom and he sits in front of you. You talk to him more than you talk to me but I guess that's fair. I guess he's probably more well-known than I am. But I would like it if you turned around and talked to me once in awhile. I can draw too. Probably even better.

When I found out you two were dating I didn't really care at first. He's bound to be a funny guy. But I feel like you deserve better than the kid who draws himself riding on giraffes.

I heard you yelling at him in the hall about a note you'd gotten in your locker about breaking up. He tried denying it but you said you knew it was him because of the giraffe.

He stopped drawing them after that. I heard a teacher gave him a plus one for it.