Author's note/Prologue

Zacznij od początku

Should I go in there? Damn it.

I dropped my purse into the ground and then silently and slowly approached the kitchen trying my best not to make any noise that could give me away, which is probably now a fail because I shouted so loudly that it could probably wake the dead.

Leaning on the wall that divided the kitchen and the dining room, too afraid to look, I grabbed a jar that was on top of the counter and squeezed it as hard as I could. This is my mom's favourite jar and she would kill me for even touching it, but right now I couldn't care any less.

''Why did you do that?!'' The angry voice yelled one more time, but this time smoother like a cry in desperation. Where the hell are my parents?

I can't believe I'm actually doing this. Oh boy ... This is a lot easier in movies when you're sitting on your couch, with a blanket over your legs and eating popcorns.

I swallowed the knot that was forming in my throat and took a step closer to the door.

''I don't know who you are, but I'm calling the police!'' I screamed squeezing harder on the jar I had in my hand. I heard someone running up the stairs, so I took the opportunity and went to the kitchen. The jar in my hand dropped, making the sound echoed through the kitchen. What- what- oh my-.

''Mom?'' I shouted running right towards her. She was lying on the ground bleeding. I never imagined that we had so much blood inside of us. ''Mom, mom!'' I said tapping on her cheeks to make her wake up. ''Can you hear me?'' She didn't respond. I placed my fingers on her neck to check the pulse and I found it! It was weak, but it was there.

''Where are you bleeding from?'' I desperately asked myself trying to find the source of all that blood. ''Oh god!'' I gasped when I lifted her shirt. Multiple stab wounds. I couldn't even count how many they were. I felt sick. I tried to look away before I puked.

After a second of trying to regain my composure, I got up and went to the drawer and took from there a big towel. I grabbed our kitchen phone and knelt beside her. I dialed 911 and placed the phone on speaker while I tried to make pressure on all the wounds.

''911, what's your emergency?''

''My mom has been stabbed! Multiple times! I need help!'' I yelled trying to compress the blood. ''She is bleeding so much! Please send an ambulance right now!'' I cried as I watch that the pressure I was doing wasn't doing away good.

''Ma'am, calm down. What's your address?'' The woman calming asked maybe trying to calm my nerves.

''345, East Whitefield, please hurry! She will die if you don't send help! Oh god. I wiped my sweaty forehead with my hand only realizing after that it was my mother's blood. I'm all cover in her blood.

''I need you to stay calm.'' I sighed at her request. How the hell am I supposed to stay calm right now? ''Is the aggressor still inside the house?''

''I don't know! Maybe!'' I replied trying to look around. Actually, the idea never crossed my mind. Is the guy who did this still in here?

''Just stay still. Help is on the w-''

''Hello?'' Where did she go? ''Hello?'' I say one more time without any response. I picked the phone and tried dialing 911 again but the line was cut off. What? No no no no! This isn't happening! Where is my dad? I need my dad!

''What are you doing?'' The voice from earlier yelled knocking me over. But this time, I recognized it. It's dad.'' Are you trying to save her?'' He asked grabbing my wrist so tightly that almost made my blood not circulate.

''Thank god you're here'' I said grabbing onto his sweater, not even processing the tone in his voice and what just left his mouth. ''Dad, someone attacked mom! We need to help her!'' I cried trying to get past him, but he didn't let me.

''She doesn't deserve to be saved.'' He replied blocking my way, holding me by my wrists.

''What are you talking about?'' I yelled, feeling the tears falling down my cheeks, not understanding what was going on. ''It's mom! Dad, she will die if we don't do something to stop the bleeding!'' I cried trying to call him to reason.

''Let her die.'' He said dragging me away from her and into his shoulders. ''We're leaving!'' What? No!

''No! We can't leave! Mom needs us!'' I said kicking my legs as hard as I could for him to let me down but he didn't let me. ''Dad!'' I screamed, grabbing his sweater tightly with my hands, twisting my petite body, trying to escape his strong arms. In vain.

That was the last time I saw my mother. Lying there, bleeding to death. All because of him.

We've been running for over two years. It's been two years since I witnessed the thing that no kid should've witnessed. But I'm 18 now.

We've moved four times already, but now we been living in San Francisco for over 6 months. You may be asking why I didn't run away yet? Why are you living with the man who killed your mother?

I've tried. And he always found me. And when he did, he hit me for hours. So eventually one day I stopped trying.

Until today.

_______________________

Hope you guys enjoyed the Prologue and if so leave your support.

Give this book a chance and I promise I won't disappoint you :D

Now, let's bring the Chapter 1.

MG