...

Kaneki and I's friendship seems to fall into place like simple pieces of a puzzle. Weeks pass. I don't know the exact date, but I'd say Kaneki and I have been cellmates for about 2 months now. In those 2 months we have far surpassed strangers and long passed acquaintances. Kaneki is probably the closest friend I have.

It's weird for me to think of him as a friend though because…it just feels…different. It doesn't feel like the relationship I have with Akira or Shinohara or anyone else. It feels unique, special. He's a friend, but he's something else as well. I don't get it.

Personal space doesn't exist. Not out of perversion (though I'd be lying if I said I haven't woken up with a boner), but because of our closeness and my inexplicable ability to keep Kaneki's nightmares at bay, Kaneki and I sleep together. The night of…Crowe, we discovered that Kaneki can sleep nightmare-free if I'm by his side. It's a fucking blessing it works and I won't even think of challenging it.

Neither of us are sleeping now. It's early morning and I just finished my morning exercises. I'm laying on my back on the top bunk bed. Kaneki is laying on top of me, his nose and cheek resting lightly against a peck. Everywhere he's touching my body is warm.

He states matter-of-factly. "You're sweaty."

I huff. "I can't help it. Most people sweat after they exercise, Neki."

"You stink, too."

I swat Kaneki on the head and he muffles a laugh against my chest. I can't even be angry at him when he makes cute noises like that.

Silence follows and we rest comfortably. I almost think Kaneki has fallen back asleep, until at one point he utters the word, "Neki..."

He says the word softly, and I can't tell if it was meant as a question.

I ask, "What?"

Kaneki has the smallest of smiles on his face. "For weeks now…you've called me Neki. I just thought it was interesting."

I had noticed that too, and it's something that surprises me about myself. I'm typically very professional, don't get close to anybody, and only there to finish the job. But Kaneki makes me weird, different. Over time I inadvertently gave him a nickname, "Neki."

I scratch his scalp, and grin when he purrs lightly. "It works for you. You look like a Neki."

He lifts his head up and raises an eyebrow. "What does it mean to look like a Neki?"

I spread my palm wide and direct it at his face. "This. This is a Neki." Hair the color of snow, deep brown eyes, button nose, plump lips with the slightest hint of glisten...that is a Neki.

Annddd that train of thought needs to stop right now. Fuck. Wow.

Kaneki just rolls his eyes and I put my hand back at my side. Thank god he can't read my thoughts. How embarrassing of me to think that.

"I hope they schedule your shower for morning shift."

Damn him again on my stench. I threaten, "Neki, I will hurt you!"

I can tell he's stifling a smile. "You smell like a banana peel that's been rotting in a garbage dumpster."

A war ensues and we're battling for dominance. We fall off the bed and hit the floor with a thud, but that doesn't stop us.

"You smell like food that was digested then thrown up." The verbal barrage doesn't stop, and we fight until we're both exhausted, covered in sweat, and out of breath.

My chest is heaving up and down as I work to catch my breath. "Now…now we're both sweaty and stinky."

Kaneki's head is laying on my stomach. He doesn't even do the sniff test. "Yes indeed."