Away From Them

I was walking home with my two best friends. School had been grueling. Math test, then essay, and a pop quiz. Me, I was tired from swim practice and couldn't wait to crash on the couch to watch the news.

The biggest thing right now was some terrorist attack in California.

Kim was drenched in sweat from soccer, and Skye was hot from lacrosse.

They were walking home in their uniforms, while I had a pair of very wet shorts on over my Speedo.

Very sporty friends.

We were laughing and giggling over some of the latest gossip. Some squinty-eyed freshman claimed she'd kissed Justin Bieber. Sure.

Kim had just been telling us this particular squinty eyed girl had also claimed to have been related to the queen.

I turned around after I heard a muffled thump. Kim wasn't behind me any more. 

"Wait, where's Kim?" I asked.

Skye turned around. "Where'd she go? She was telling us about that silly freshman.." she paused.

"Kim!"

I heard a scream.

I turned around to see Kim floating in midair, struggling and wrirthing and screaming her head off. Her blue eyes were wide with fear.

Skye hadn't even turned around.

I didn't have time to think if she were deaf or not, I only had time for the girl dangling ten feet above the ground.

I started running towards Kim. I launched into the air, grabbing her feet. I was dangling a foot or two above the ground now, unable to pull her down.

"Kim!" I shrieked.

"Liv! Let go!" she cried. "Leave!"

Suddenly we were both being pulled up, and Kim's head dissapeared.

"Kim!"

Suddenly I was being dragged by a pair of hands. I banged onto something. I think Kim's foot.

I felt dizzy. And sick. What was happening? Where was I?

Everything was moving too fast.

All I could see was a gray metal floor. I closed my eyes. This was a dream. This was a dream.

I could hear someone standing above me. "No, no, no. This can't be happening. " Then they groaned and I felt the floor beneath me lurch and then I was moving.

I blacked out.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I woke up.

I was stiff. My neck hurt and my back was sore. It took me a minute to realize that I was no longer on the floor. I was on a very lumpy matress. It took me another few minutes for me to realize that my eyes were closed.

I opened them up to a very dark room, lit only by a very grimy window set high up on the concrete walls. It looked out on grass, and was far too high for me to reach.

The floor was also concrete, with a little rusted drain in the center. The bed was a foldable cot with rusty metal bars holding it up and a very thin sheet ridden with holes covering the matress.

There was only one door, a large metal thing two or three feet taller than me.

I stood up to go pound on it.