Evan and I looked at each other, both wanting to laugh as the doctor assumed we were a couple, or at least family.

“Thank you.”

“If you like you can wait outside or we can call you at home?”

“I’ll wait,” I said quickly, afraid of the idea of being alone with Evan, even if it was just to drop me off at my apartment.

“We’ll take good care of Boxer,” the vet smiled reassuringly at me and I nodded.

“Is it life threatening?” I had to ask before leaving the room.

“No, it’s not.”

I breathed a sigh of relief and it was so overwhelming I slumped right into Evan’s chest.

Oh how warm and solid he is. His scent engulfed me and I inhaled it greedily, a mixture of fresh linen and a wintery musk. I was surprised when his arms came around holding me to him as he walked me back out to the waiting room. He sat me down still holding me and rubbing my back soothingly. I didn’t want to leave his embrace, this is the most we have ever touched and it felt gloriously right. But, I pulled away looking up at him.

“Thank you,” I said quietly. Seeing the care in his eyes made me want to snuggle back up against his chest as if I knew it would be okay with him if I did so.

“Boxer means a lot to you,” he prodded.

“Yes he does,” I nod. “I have had him since he was a puppy, before Jerry, over five years now,” I explained.

“I see he was a comfort to you…during?” He didn’t seem able to speak or wanted to speak about the abuse. We weren’t exactly in a therapeutic arena, but I got the feeling that wasn’t the reason why he avoided it.

“Yes.”

I felt his hand come up my back and began to massage my neck gently.

I didn’t want to ask if he could get in trouble for being here with me, outside of work and therapy. His support and help is keeping me calm more than I usually would be dealing with my sick pet on my own. I didn’t want to ruin it, I enjoyed him so much.

*

“Should we wake her up?” I heard an unfamiliar voice say.

“Yes, I’m sure she would want to hear the news.”

That was Evan’s voice and much closer than it should have been.

I opened my eyes to be looking up at his jawline. The edge of his beard at the base of his throat and I had the strongest desire to reach up and press my lips to the line of his neck where the beard ended.

I bounced up realizing I had fallen asleep against Evan and how that thought aroused too much in me. He had been holding me the whole time while I slept, cradling me like a…a lover…

“I’m sorry,” I said noticing I had startled both men, the other I recognized now as the vet.

“It’s okay Sonja,” Evan smiled at me.

Did I see a hint of pleasure from holding me in his eyes? It did magical things to my body and mind if he was pleased.

“Boxer is doing well, he does have a bacterial infection...the flu you might call it for pets. I’m giving you some antibiotics that he’ll need twice a day and he’ll be ready to go home shortly,” The vet explained pleased to be giving me good news. Being that he worked in a twenty four hour veterinary hospital I assumed he didn’t get to give good news very often.

“Thank you so much,” I said shaking his hand as my voice cracked slightly. I felt the relief tears surge in my eyes and I wiped at them before they could fall down my cheeks.