I didn't dream of the masks or needles, but instead a dock floating calmly in a pond surrounded by tall wispy grass, the water shimmered from the low burning sun rising over the mountains. Everything was calm, I sat on the edge with my feet dipping lazily into the cool water. I had a fishing rod and that bobbed in the distance. Nothing worried me.

Then I heard footsteps behind me, they got louder as someone approached. I wasn't worried, it seemed I knew who it was already and in my heart knew they weren't going to hurt me.

I felt the dock dip slightly as the mystery person sat beside me, their bare feet leisurely splashing small waves at mine. A melodious chime filled my ears, the sound of pure laughter. Then I realized it was coming from my throat, I splashed the stranger back and looked up at them.

I saw the outline of a man, but the sun shadowed his face not revealing a single clue who the identity of my friend was besides the fact he was male with a large built and short hair.

Then I felt the imagine floating away, like I was being pulled out by a rope. Desperately I focused and pleaded to stay but the more I did the faster my oasis darkened like the ending of a movie.

I awoke alone in the hospital room, I felt an emptiness inside. I wished I wasn't here and that I could slip back into my illusion and spend the rest of my life living that lie, but I couldn't. That fantasy was now lost to me forever.

*** time skip ***

The pressure from my bladder is what finally got me up. The lights were off and it was dark outside, looking at the clock on the wall I realized it was the middle of the night. Standing up off the bed I felt the pain immediately, confused I staggered towards the small separate bathroom with an IV drip wheeling along in my hand.

Reaching the bathroom I flipped off the light and stared at the reflection in the mirror. I saw a girl with greasy hair and dark circles under her eyes. Someone had changed me into a hospital gown and wiped the makeup and soot off my face. The pain in my side had dull to a throb, shrugging I went on with my business.

After using the washroom I decided a shower was in need from the state of my hair. Taking off the thin gown I was shocked by the thick padding just above my hip bone.

I was shot.

I don't remember a bullet piercing my body, although adrenaline is an amazing thing. During my run with the cigarette I think I can recall feeling a sharp pinch, but shouldn't it have hurt more at the time. When people get shot it's suppose to take them down, it's suppose to be excruciating. Maybe I just have a very high pain tolerance, but something told me that wasn't just it.

After my shower I walked around my room for a while, I didn't want to go back to bed. I Wondered where mom and dad were, they said they would be here when I woke up.

Finally I was done waiting, I had enough sleep to run a marathon. Venturing into the hospital hallways it had the same surgical lighting and white floor, but was oddly quiet.

Exploring the halls I saw a few nurses but nothing majorly exciting, it was like any other hospital you can imagine.

People sitting in waiting chairs gave me odd looks as I passed unsupervised, still attached to a drip bag. But no one paid too close a mind.

Not until I saw my parents in the cafeteria. They looked like zombies haphazardly sipping there coffees and mechanically chewing gross hospital sandwiches.

I wobbled towards them occasionally bumped my IV into a chair or table, everyone looked extremely alarmed that one of the patients was out walking around. Some of the nurses who were peacefully taking a break gawked at me like I was seriously trying to go and eat with a gun shot wound in my side. Someone called security, but I paid no mind.