Chapter 3: New Findings

Chapter 3

Alex's concious begged him to get out of that wooden house. But his legs, his legs wouldn't move.

Sweat beaded on his temples. Something terrible was about to happen. He heard footsteps of the old couple. His head jolted up. What would he do? What could he do?

Mrs.Holland was in the doorway. A sickly, sweet smile on her face. "Little boy," she said. "I know you might be afraid in a stranger's home. But, you need a place to rest right? And I certainly can't leave you on the streets."

Alex was confused. Were his instincts wrong? He stared warily at the old woman in front of him.

The woman smiled, "Get him now Edward while he's distracted!" she suddenly yelled.

A rope was around his neck in an instance. Alex gasped in surprise. Guess not..

"You struggle, I tighten my grip on this rope, and your dead." Mr.Holland said from behind him. He looked torwards his wife, "Untie his bandage, see what's really under there."

Mrs.Holland reached forward with her wrinkly hands and slowly pulled off the white bandage. It slid off onto the boy's shoulders.

The wide, violet eyes stared back at them, quivering with fear.

Mrs.Holland smirked in disgust, "Yeah. That would be him. The cloth Ed, hurry!"

Mr.Holland shoved a black rag onto the poor boy's face, suffocating him with the strangest aroma he'd ever smelled. It was a kind of ..sweet poison.. he was allured to it, but he knew he was making a mistake.

Everything was blurring and sweet darkness was opening his arms for him. Alex fought to stay awake, who knew what these people were going to do to him?

"Ugh.."

"What is it Edward?" Mrs.Holland said.

"Put the bandages on that thing, I don't want to see them..." His voice faded away as Alex felt something being tied around his head and eyes.

Alex was succumbing to darkness, he was too weak, like a mouse cornered by a cat. Alex's eyes closed. Unconcious he fell into Mr.Holland's awaiting arms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Inside Alexander's Dream*

"...You'll soon come to me.. I've been waiting for too long.." a strange but familiar voice echoed.

Alex's dream self twirled around, his wet, blonde hair whipping onto his face, as he tried to determine where the voice came from. "Hello?" he asked timidly as he walked forward. Wait.. wet blonde hair?

Alex looked up. Rain.. It looked like a dark red liquid..

Alex gasped as he looked down. It was a mirror, covered in puddles of blood. A mirror that showed a darker version of himself with an evil smile and bloodshot .. purple eyes.

"NO!" Alex screamed as he ran, ran from himself.

He neared a grey river. Alex slumped on the ground next to it trembling, holding his head in one of his blood stained hands. The grey water ran over his free hand. Something about that silvery water, intrigued him. His body seemed as if it was on autopilot. He got up on shaking legs and fell on his knees, deeper into the eerie, cold water. Even though he knew it was a terrible idea, a horrible temptation. Water soaked his clothes, but that didn't seem to matter.

He stared into his reflection. The water rippled. The reflection changed, if only slightly. Alex knew he shouldn't but curiousity was eating him up, so he reached forward barely touching the water with his fingertips, his reflection mimicking his every move. Suddenly, his reflection grabbed him instead.