XV

"Clear off the rumors, now." Ryan snapped and cut the phone.

"What rumors?" I asked.

"That I'm in a relationship with one of my colleagues." He said.

"Yeah, so that is true." I stated.

"So? The world knows that I don't do relationships. They're probably going to take it far and say that I remain distracted, because of which, I'll lose profits." He said.

"Excuse me?"

"What?"

"Are you ashamed of us?" I asked.

Realization hit him.

"You know that's not true."

"No, but you just said that you don't want people to know."

"If you heard carefully, I also said that my company would face losses."

"Name one CEO who's company is in loss because he's in a relationship."

"Why are you overreacting? It's not like this thing we have is serious anyway."

I looked at him in disbelief.

"I'm sorry, what?" I asked.

"What?" He asked.

"You're unbelievable."

"Admit it. I know you want to be spoken about. I know you want people to know that you're dating the CEO of the world's biggest company."

My heart broke.

"Who the hell do you think you are? How dare you objectify me? You know what? To remove the burden from your shoulders, I'll resign. Simple. That way, your public image won't be at stake."

"Do you hear yourself? You sound insane. You can't get offended over such a small thing."

"Such a small thing? Alright. I'm sorry, Mr. Anderson."

I walked out of his room. I could hear him call me.

I wiped my tears and made my resignation letter ready. It was all dejà vu. I knew how this felt.

..

"Joe, I need a high paying job. I habe to pay rent and all." I sighed.

"Ryan's an idiot. Uh, I'll get back to you if I find something."

"Sure, thanks Joe."

What will I do now?