Chapter XIV - Beliefs and Bonfires

Start from the beginning

There was silence as they listened to me with neutral masks. Some of the men who were carrying the firewood had also stopped to listen to me.

"I have spent almost ten years overseas, and I will admit, very honestly, that I do not know my own home country and my people as well as I should. It is why I embarked on this Potential Quest in the first place. At this point of time, finding a bride is not as important to me as learning about my people, and their way of life." I paused for a moment, collecting my thoughts.

"I want to understand your customs, your views, your beliefs, your needs so that I can learn to become the sort of leader, the sort of King that you deserve to lead you into the future. All of you make up this country, and I do not disregard the fact that I would be nothing without you all."

"Therefore, please help me to help you. Your support would mean the world to me," I poured out all that I had wanted to tell them this morning.

By this time, the whole village had gathered in front of me to listen. I glanced at Julie, whose hazel brown eyes were shining.

Did I do well? I asked her silently.

I need not have worried. The crowd burst into loud applause, cheers and whistles, creating a celebratory mood that came entirely from their hearts, and not from the orders that Lord Tessensohn had sent beforehand.

I bowed, beaming at them until my cheeks hurt.

"You spoke very well, Sire," an elderly man stepped forward and bowed to me, "I am Chief Dupree, the Village Head."

"It is an honour to meet you, Sir," I answered fervently.

Chief Dupree inclined his head, and then held up his hands for silence among the villagers.

He was obeyed at once. "My dear people," he announced in a crackly voice, "you have all heard what His Royal Highness had to say. Now, shall we welcome him to Tessensohn properly, and invite him to our bonfire tonight?"

The response was thunderous. "Aye!"

"We have a bonfire at the beginning of every month at the town square, Your Royal Highness," Chief Dupree explained to me in a lower tone, smiling, "and we would be honoured indeed if you could attend."

"I would love to, Sir, thank you," I nodded, "the Lady Knight and I will follow you." I gestured to Julie, who was striding towards us.

"Ah, Jules! It has been a long time," Chief Dupree was surprised, "it is good to see you, my dear. Any chance that we might see you performing with the magicians tonight?" His eyes twinkled, as he touched her head briefly as a form of blessing.

My eyes grew round, as I mouthed at her. Magicians?

She grew pink, and nudged me to stay silent. "Nay, nay, those days are far behind me," she answered hastily, "and in any case, I am simply His Royal Highness' companion and guard tonight, nothing more."

Chief Dupree gazed between the both of us for a moment, his dim, aged blue irises softening. "Well, it is a large village," he remarked gently, "hewill certainly be lost without you." 

On that strange note, he beckoned the villagers to follow him towards the town square.

"Whatever in the world was that about?" I queried, mystified.

Julie stared after him as well, her forehead creasing. "I know not, but do not trouble yourself over it. He is always like this. Let us go!" she waved it off, gesturing me to continue walking, "Tessensohn bonfires are always such a good time."

"How does everyone here know you so well?" I asked her, as we weaved through the crowds towards the town square.

She sighed heavily, as if she were reluctant to answer me. "Lady Françoise is a very good friend of my Tante Rosanna," she shot me a wry smile, "whenever Papa handed me over to her for the summer, she brought me here with her whole family, to Tessensohn. But Lady Olivia, my cousin sister Tess and I did not get along very well, so I spent most of my time idling away in the village, away from the Manor." Her countenance darkened.