Chapter 5: 'Cause I'm Awesome!

Start from the beginning

       I could hear her laughing through the other line, before she hushed a somebody who was giggling far too loudly. And if my hearing isn’t fooling me, I know just who the owner of such boisterous giggle is. My mind immediately started to turn and align, coming to the conclusion that only the two most meddlesome women I know could be behind this.

       “Now, now, that’s no way to talk to your mother, and anyhow if I would have told you then you wouldn’t have shown up to the date. It’s been years since you’ve gone out with anybody, and since you were throwing absolutely no bones at us when we introduced you to the most beautiful women, then….well, you get where I’m going with this, right honey,” she said it like it was the most plausible thing in the world.

       “So you find it to be alright to coerce against me with Melissa to trick me into going out on a date with another man; what are you two trying to get here?” By now I was pissed out of my mind. How could they just do this to me? When I said I didn’t want anybody else but my one and only love, Susanne, I meant from all genders. Particularly the women, though I could never find any attraction anymore, but men…I’ve never even thought of that so I never thought it was necessary to say they were crossed out of the list as well.      

       I should have known they would have found a loophole, though. They always get their way, but I am not going to let them get away with this now.

       “I’m sorry for not telling you beforehand, sweetie, but we just want you to be happy,” my mother’s said in a sweet voice, which melted the angry scowl that had worked its way onto my face.

       “I am happy, mom,” I said softly as I let out a loud sigh.

       “I know, baby, but you’re lonely and need somebody to love like a man. We’re just looking out for you, that’s all, “she reasoned.

       “Yeah, we love you Charlie!” I heard through the other line followed by a loud giggle. I bit down the smile that was threatening to form. I couldn’t stay mad at them, they’re just being their usual nosy selves trying to do what they best deem fit.

       Chuckling softly, I quickly told my mom to tell Melissa that I’d like to get a word with her tomorrow during brunch, and to tell the kids that I loved them and goodnight. I was going to pick them up tomorrow morning for school, luckily they had clothes over at their house so they didn’t have to worry about that.

       “Yeah, love you too, tell dad that we’ll go bowling like always this Saturday,” I said quickly earning a reply to take care, have fun, and that she loved me too before I hung up. I looked down at my Rolex brand watch, and saw that I’d been out here talking for ten minutes. I must be the hugest ass in the world leaving my “date” out there waiting on me while I babbled nonstop with my mom.

       I tucked my cellphone back into my back pocket as I made my way back into the beautiful restaurant, immediately realizing how cold it was outside as the warmth from inside assaulted my cold skin, trying to mend my skin from the night’s cold assault. Soon enough I was in front of our table, my…date there, looking up at me with concern.

      “Are you alright?” He asked, his voice laced with concern. I was a little surprised that he’d be worried about me when we have little to no history together, except for him stealing my parking spot (which I’m still not letting go of) and ironically being my blind date.

       “Yeah, I’m fine. Just my mother being her usual nosy self,” I said easily as I took my seat, and noticed that he had already ordered for us.

       “I hope you don’t mind, but I took the liberty of making of ordering something for us both,” he said with a sheepish grin, “ I didn’t know what you liked, so I just asked for today’s special, and voila, this happened.” I looked down at the plate placed in front of me, the food delicately placed in  a way that looked like art. I almost felt bad that by eating it I’d ruin the delicious beautiful work of art. But I’m kind of hungry, so that thought will only last a second.