Chapter 7

Winterfrost dropped her prey on the fresh kill pile. It had been only 3 days since she arrived, and she had just been known as Winter. She was thankful they didn't change her name. Then, even though she would have everyone else know her as Winterfrost, all of Starclan would know her as the name Cloudclan had given her. She remembered how the elders weren't being fed anymore. Shadowstar had explained how the clan needed to be fed first, and then the elders. When Winterfrost had asked why, he said it was because every cat knew how there would be a battle. It was as clear as a pure white cat slipping through a shadowy forest. She had already memorized the names of the elders. Patchpelt, Moonshade, Lightstep, and the eldest, Badgertail. Knowing that the clan would be fed, Winterfrost picked up four plump mice by their tails and brought them into the elder's den. At first, it seemed pitch black, then her eyes adjusted and she saw the four elders sitting together to keep warm.

"Eh, who's there?" Moonshade lifted her head. Her black pelt made it hard for Winterfrost to see her.

"It's Winter-" she cut herself off as she was about to say Winterfrost.

"Ah, young Winter. What might you want?" Badgertail rasped. Winterfrost felt another pang of sorrow. Any cat with eyes could see that the elders where starving.

"Is that food?" Moonshade licked her lips. Winterfrost dropped a mouse in front of each of the elders.

"No cat should starve. You have earned your prey time and time again." Winterfrost responded.

"I can't remember the last time I had a full mouse all to myself!" Lightstep meowed, taking a small bite from the mouse, then eating a bit more rapidly as if her hunger was just realized again.

"You can't remember anything these days," Patchpelt snapped, but Winterfrost could tell there was a hint of amusement in her tone.

"Thank you, Winter. You are a wise cat. I could tell it even before Shadowstar announced that you could help our clan." Badgertail dipped his head thankfully and he too, began to eat. Winterfrost felt her own stomach starting to protest, but she wouldn't eat until all the cats had been fed. Even the kits. Winterfrost dipped her head and backed out of the den. As she left the den, she heard the squeaking of little kits.

"Come on! Lets see the rogue cat!" A voice mewed. Winterfrost turned her head and saw three white kits bundling towards her. They sat beneath her and looked up at her with wide eyes.

"Need something?" Winterfrost asked the kits, sitting down.

"What do rogues do?" The white kit with black ears asked.

"Well, they like to hunt, and most rogues don't stay in one place very long." Winterfrost replied.

"Do they really eat kits?"  A terrified white kit with black paws and a black tail asked, tilting her head.

"No, in fact they are very much like clans. Except they care for kits by choice, not by a code." Winterfrost meowed, amused.

"I bet that you aren't stronger than us!" The third kit yowled and leaped up on top of Winterfrost's back. Winterfrost wailed dramatically as the other two kits bundled on top of her. She pretended to be caught and fell to the ground.

"You got me," she coughed, amused. The kits seemed to believe her.

"Yea! We caught the rogue cat!" The pure white kit boasted.

"It certainly seems that we won't see any unfriendly rogues in our territory any time soon." Winterfrost saw Bristletail padding towards her.

"They will make great warriors," Winterfrost agreed, getting to her paws as the kits let her up. Suddenly a shreik sounded from the nursery and a pitch plack cat streaked across the camp, past Winterfrost and towards a crack in the camp. Winterfrost saw a black kit with white spots wailing and a trickle of blood coming from her tail. At first, Winterfrost didn't understand. Then, she knew exactly what had happened. The black cat started furiously grooming the kit's tail and pouring water from a leaf onto it. But the kit seemed not to care. He was wailing and breathing hard.

Then, the black cat yowled, "Help! Whitekit has been bitten by a snake!"