Kagune and RC Cells

A kagune (赫子, red child) is a ghoul's predatory organ and functions as their weapon and claws. It is usually as red as blood (the colours are varied in the anime to distinguish the Kagune of each individual), flexible like the flow of water, but firm and sturdy. When released, a ghoul's physique is strengthened, they are more resilient, and their mobility heightens. A Kagune is composed of Rc cells, which flow just like blood, can become as solid as teeth and can be described as "liquid muscles". The Rc cells are released from a kakuhou piercing the skin, and the released Rc cells form the Kagune. The Kagune are voluntary muscles as ghouls can control them whenever they want and repeatedly harden and soften them at will. Kagune size depend on the Rc cells quality and quantity while the shape depends on the creativity and intellect of the use. Athough a ghoul's healing ability is high, the healing of wounds tends to be delayed if the wounds are inflicted by a Kagune. It is also evident that in order to counter a kagune in battle, one must also have a Kagune, if not, at least something in relation to a kagune. Hence, Ghoul Investigators use kagune-based quinque as a tactical means to battle against ghouls.
Rc Types
The kagune's appearance and the place of emergence on the body depend on the Rc type of the ghoul.
There are four different Rc types: Ukaku, Koukaku, Rinkaku, and Bikaku. As a guideline, each type can characteristically subdue another type, although it may be different for two specific opponents.
Each Rc type has a set of strengths and weaknesses, each one unique to its type. These are exploited by the CCG in the creation of the quinque and Q bullets.