"I—" Clary started but was cut off by a bloodcurdling scream.

Raphael was gone, no marks, no footprints, just up and vanished. By the time i turned jace was already moving, leaving us to follow his witchlight into the darkness. We kept going till we reached a large archway beyond it was what would of once been a grand ballroom. Raphael stood in the centre of the room, arms hanging by his side.

Clary ran over to him. "Are you all right?" She asked.

He nodded slowly. "I thought i saw a movement in the shadows. It was nothing." He replied, i narrowed my eyes observing his every move closely.

"We've decided to head back to the servants' stairs," Jace told him. "There's nothing on this floor."

Raphael nodded in agreement. "Good idea."

He then headed for the door, not bothering to check if we were going to follow.

"Raphael?" Jace called out, Raphael turns eyes widening as Jace threw his knife.

His reflexs were quick but Jace has an excellent throw. The blade struck home, the force knocking him off his feet.

"Jace" Clary hissed in disbelief.

Jace shoved her aside before lunging himself at Raphael in an attempt to grab the blade sticking out from the boy's chest. Though Raphael was quicker pulling the blade out, his screamed as it came into contact with his skin. The blade clattered to the marble floor.

Jace held Raphael by a fistful of his shirt, his blade Sanvi raised in his other hand.

Raphael laughed mockingly as blood stained his shirt. "You missed," He said grinning to show off his set of pointed white teeth. "You missed my heart."

Jace's grip tightened. "You moved at the last minute," He said. "That was very inconsiderate."

Raphael frowned spitting up red. "When did you figure it out?" He demanded.

"I guessed in the alley." Jace explained. "But i figured you'd get us inside the hotel, then turn on us. Once we trespassed we'd be out of the protection of the Covenant. Fair game. When you didn't, i thought i might have been wrong. Then i saw the scar on your throat." He continued, still holding the blade to Raphael's throat. "I thought when i first saw that chain that it looked like the sort you'd hang a cross from. And you did didn't you. When you went out to see your family. What's the scar of a little burn when your kind heal so quickly."

Raphael laughed once again. "Was that all? My scar?"

"When you left the foyer, you feet didn't leave marks in the dust. Then i knew."

"It wasn't your brother your brother who came in here looking for monsters and never came out." Clary exclaimed. "It was you."

"You are both very clever," Raphael mused. "Although not quite clever enough. Look up." He then lifted a finger to point up at the ceiling.

"Anna, what do you see?" Jace asked me, his focus not moving from Raphael.

I looked up to be meet with the sight of hundred of pale smiling faces peering down on us.