CHAPTER TWELVE: THE SECRET ADMIRER

Start from the beginning

"Nathalie," he drawled in his best bedroom voice and almost winking at the poor unsuspecting victim. "What did you say you were up to again?"

Unfortunately, Nathalie was a female version of Bigfoot and she launched herself in one of the longest self-dedicated speech Aidan had ever heard of. And the worst part was he had to try to be impressed when she had finished.

He whistled and tried to look at Nathalie with a flirtatious look. "Oh my! What an long biodata," he tried but his voice came out as mocking and he got a kick under the table from Jennifer. "Errm, I'm impressed," he rectified his tone instantly.

Nathalie blushed at the compliment and Aidan asked her if she wanted to go for a walk leaving some people of the table looking baffled behind him. Just before leaving the kitchen, he threw a furtive glance in the direction of Kate who looked dismayed.

Great! At least he was getting a reaction from her. After his departure, he had no idea what to do with Nathalie and finally asked her out to the store nearby. He had to get a new razor kit anyway and was therefore going to kill two birds with one stone.

Fifteen minutes later, Aidan parked the truck in the parking lot of a nearby store and he was getting desperate now as Nathalie was clinging to him like a second skin. And he was not liking it.

"So Aidan, tell me more about yourself," she practically cooed down his neck and he had a hard time trying not to flinch at her closeness.

Resuming his life in one sentence, he diverted the conversation using her to get more information about the relationship between Kate and Bigfoot.

"Oh, I'm the common man," he said offhandedly and did not miss the flare in Nathalie's eyes. She was disappointed; she must be one looking for a rich husband and Aidan was glad he had not elaborated on his financial aptitudes. If she knew how rich he was, she would probably never leave his side.

"But tell me. Are you excited about the wedding?" he asked not knowing how to be subtle about his hidden agenda.

"Ohh yes!" she replied clapping her hands together seeming to get over her initial shock as they got into the store together. "Everything had happened so quickly. My brother had been so surprised when my mother told him that Kate had accepted to marry him. It had been a relentless pursuit, you see..."

"Wait a minute. What do you mean your mother told your brother?" he asked picking up that information and processing it quickly. Usually Bigfoot should have been the first to be aware of that kind of news. Hadn't Bigfoot even had the decency to propose?

"Oh, you know Kate was so determined not to get married at first. It was my brother who was after her for like several years. And when Kate finally accepted to date him, we were so thrilled. And then Judith phoned one week later to say that the wedding was on, we got even more excited. I mean this was the best opportunity for me to..."

The rest of her words drowned as he was no longer listening. So that was what had happened. She did not love that fool Bigfoot but had been cornered by her mother. It was as he had doubted all long. There had been pressure from her family to marry that loser.

He could not help feeling excited as adrenaline kicked in and he felt his heart beating faster. His instincts were screaming at him that he was on the right track but it was too risky a step to take without prior planning and thought.

As his iPhone buzzed again, his grin got wider at the message he received.

Right on target! Take your time to come back! Let it steam! Let it brew!

"Who was that?" Nathalie asked coming behind him to peep curiously at him. She was probably wondering why the hell he was smiling like a fool but he could not stop. It was Jen who was telling him that Kate was getting all flustered and not come back right now.