Chapter 20

"Are you anxious?"

"About what?" I took a sip of my coffee and allow my fingers to absently trace the coffee sleeve.

"Well the game is tomorrow. Did you forget?" He laughed and gave me a broad smile.

"Nearly." I shifted my gaze towards him, and silently scolded myself for being so inattentive to the matter.
I sighed, "I don't know if I'm anxious, but I've been sleeping restlessly."

"I can tell. Nice eye circles."

I scrunched my nose at him and he squinted his eyes and gritted his teeth in response.

"To be honest it's everything that's going on with Brian too."

"Hasn't it been a week since you last saw him?"

"Six days, excuse you."

"Yeah, yeah." He waved away my words. "What's going on there."

"Still not talking. And I've texted him everyday."

"A bit needy." He winked at me and I started reconsidering why I asked him out for coffee.

"You know me- always desperate." I playfully add.

"Not gonna argue with you." He took a sip of his coffee and I crunched up a napkin and threw it at him.

"Yikes I'm not here for abuse."

"You're not here to provide advice  apparently."

  "Of course not. Strictly here for the hot gossip." He eyed me up and shook his head. "Why not just tell Tyler this stuff."

"Because I miss my dear friend Josh?"

He shrugged his shoulders and looked away arrogantly, "Don't I know it."

"Right...." I roll my eyes at him, "I just feel like Tyler gets touchy around this stuff."

Josh nodded his head and crossed his arms. "Understandable. So are you and Sav ok?"

"How'd you know about that?"

"Tyler tells me everything."

I huffed out a breath of air. "Nice." I felt a little annoyed by this.

"Hey, we're a package deal, remember?"

"Sure. And to answer your question, we're fine now. We made up but you probably aren't interested in hearing the rehashing of that drama."

"Yeah, no."

"Didn't think so." I leaned back in my chair and thought about that for a moment.

Sav and Sal? A love story I couldn't quite comprehend.

The conversation halted for a moment and I instinctively took in the buzz of people's voices and traffic that stood still. Our table hugged the sidewalk, and I watched people walk by.

"I'm excited for Columbus." I smiled at Josh and he jumped in his seat at my words.

"Ah that's what I forgot! Tyler suggested leaving the day after the game. You know, so you can win the championship and then go on vacation as a reward." He winked at me and it was comforting to know he was so confident. Truthfully, I'm excited for the game, but terrified for my teammates. What am I going to say to inspire them? How am I supposed to convince them that we put in the hard work even if we lose; and if we lose will they concede our best wasn't good enough? How can I carry the weight of the team's morale?