Short story

Long, long ago, in a time much different to ours, there was a small town near the border of Europe called Cesky Krumlov, the cleanest town you could find in all of Europe. Within that small town is a family of four. A husband, wife and the twins, one male and one female. All happy, but little did they know that danger was about to befall them and destroy all of their happiness in their small little town.

Everyday the husband, Balavard would go out and do some manual work shifting lumber from one place to the other, the wife, Maria would stay home, cook the food, mend the washing, look after the twins, Nate and Sadie, mend all the broken clothes and tended to all the sick in the town. Life was very peaceful and happy. Everyone knew each other and helped each other out in their time on need. Never had a stranger walked through the gates, till a sick traveling merchant came along. Not knowing what to do they sent the sick merchant to Maria hoping that she would help him get better.

Over the next few days Maria noticed that some of the skin bloated up and was full of puss and decided to open one up to see what is was all about. As she opened it up some of the yellow puss had sprayed up and landed on her face and without her noticing it had landed inside her mouth infecting her. That night Maria started having a coughing fit near her husband Balavard and without her knowing infected him to.

When the morning came Maria and Balavard had woken to sheet that were once free from dampness. While Maria was making breakfast and Balavard the twins had started to wake. Walking in to the room Nate sat down and Sadie would ask if Maria needed any help today around the house. With Maria replying "all I need you to do today is to handle the washing and go out and buy some more of the herbs that I need, I need to help the sick merchant get better". Soon she had started coughing near the twins infecting them and without her knowing. Dooming the whole family.

While Balavard was working he started coughing around all of his friends who work with him infecting them all. When he was walking down the street to deliver some lumber to the builders he started coughing around them to, infecting them to. Soon all the people he met up with and talked with had become infected.

When night came Maria came and checked back with the sick merchant, noticing that all the color had drained from his face she got a damp rag, soaked it in some water then drained it of all the water it had in it and put it on top of the sick merchant's head hoping that it would help. As soon as the rag went on top of the merchant he woke up and asked where he is and what day it is. Telling the merchant that it was 7th of December, 1437. Once the merchant heard what date it was he said that his name was Antonio and that he feels like his whole body was on fire before passing out again.

The next morning Maria and Balavard woke up with pains in their under arms and groin. After checking what was the cause of the pain they found that their skin had bloated and even formed boils full of black puss. Hoping that the twins hadn't caught whatever it was Maria and Balavard went and checked on them only to find that they were covered in more boils all over their body's. While Maria racked her brain to figure out what the cause was Balavard went to check on all of the neighbours to see if any of them had caught it to, after checking on them all he found the just about all of the neighbours had caught this sickness to.

After Maria had finished racking her brain, she figured that the only way this could have happened was when she opened the bloated skin on the merchant. Racing down to see the sick merchant Antonio, she found him and started shaking him furiously trying to wake him up, but to no avail did he wake up. Maria noticed that something was missing in this room, someones breathing, but not just anyones breathing, Antonio's breathing. Checking Antonio's pulse she found that he had died during the night. After Maria told Balavard to burry the body she began to wonder why the twins and everyone else had gotten the boils faster then she and Balavard did, and she released that they have weaker immune systems then they have and that the twins are young.

Over the next few days people started collapsing, some dying on the spot and others dying later, that the town had stop being the happy place it was and became a sad town full of misery. Maria was trying her best to cope with all the problems of the town she could not handle it at all for the twins had recently collapsed and had not woken up yet. Maria was dying and she new it, knowing that nothing could save her she worked her hardest for those who have a better chance of surviving then she had. All of a sudden she heard a crash next to her and found that Balavard had collapsed and died from the impact of hitting his head the floor. Maria not coping well she starting crying over Balavards dead body.

During that night Maria and the rest townspeople all went to sleep for the night, not knowing that it was the last time that they would lay in their bed for they all died during the night. When morning came the twins had woken up from when hey had collapsed and found that they were all alone in the town and weeped for weeks.