*+Chapter 6+*

Começar do início

        "Thanks." He brushed past me and took off his shoes. He knew my policy on shoes inside the house. "The place looks different," he commented, shoving his hands back in his pocket as he looked around my home.

       "I re-decorated," I said, closing the door. "John, why are you here?"

        John took his time before answering. He strolled the the Chinese painting of a waterfall against my wall and studied it. "This is new."

       "Yeah." I stayed behind him, watching his back carefully. " I got it after you left."

        John studied the painting a little longer before turning to face me. He paused at the sight of me and tilted his head to the side, looking thoughtful. "You've changed."

       "Have I?"

        "You look more...refreshed."

       I crossed my arms. "I've made some changes in my life."

       "Like?"

       "I got a new lover." And he's your brother.

        John lifted his brows up in surprise. "A new lover? I see..." He ran hand through his dark hair, making my heart ache at the striking resemblance between him and Cedric. "Guess I'm too late, huh?"

       That caught my attention.

       "What?" I straightened in full attention and uncrossed my arms. "What did you say?"

        "I missed you."

        My mouth went dry at his words, heart picking up speed. How long have I waited to hear those words after he had left me? Hearing them now...I didn't know what to think.

        "My life hasn't been the same without you," he admitted with a sigh. "It hasn't been right at all for months now."

       "And you're telling me this now because...?"

        John fixed me with a solemn stare. "Because I want to pick up where we left off."

        "What?" I gaped incredulously at him. Was I hearing things? He couldn't possibly mean...

        John walked up to me and grabbed my shoulder firmly. He leaned his face closer to mine, blue eyes intense. "I want you back, Kai. I want things the way it used to be."

        I stared at him, completely thrown off guard. Was he serious? He wanted me back now? NOW?

        "You're married," I blurted out.

       John smiled crookedly, that familiar crooked smile that used to drive me crazy. Now...now it just put an ache in my heart. "It's not working out between Julia and I."

        "John, you've only been married for a week!"

        "Yeah, but we've been having problems for months now, ever since we got engaged." He paused as if searching for the right words to say. "We don't ....we don't agree on certain things."

       "So what? Now you want me back?"

       "Julia isn't you, Kai. You understand me."

       I shrugged his hands off my shoulder and stepped back. "It's too late between us."

       "But we can continue as we were before," he insisted.

        "Do you know what you're saying, John?" I shook my head at him. "You're asking me to help you commit infidelity!"

        John closed his eyes and rubbed his temple, as if he too was tortured by the idea. "I know, Kai, I know but...I can't live without you." He looked at me with tormented eyes. "Being with Julia made me realize that. I made a mistake."