6. stars and dust

Depuis le début

The smile that was on my face moments ago is non-existent, slipping off my face as my head takes me back to three years ago.

My sore feet carry me up the staircase and down the hall to the room I've come to know even in my sleep. I push open the door and see Austin sitting on his bed while his friend Carter and Justin sit around—one on the desk, one on the window ledge.

"Hey, baby," Austin smiles wildly, standing up and pulling me into his arms. "I was wondering where you were all day—you never responded to any of my texts. The guys and I are going to the batting cages."

"Oh," I swallow hard. Does he not see that I've been crying? "I had a doctors appointment but—uh, I was wondering if we could talk. Alone."

My eyes flick over to his friends, both of them exchanging looks before standing up. "We'll meet you there, Austin," Carter murmurs.

His friends never liked me anyway.

Austin sat down on the edge of his bed and pulls me between his legs, his hands on my waist. The door behind me closes with a quiet thud and silence wraps around us, nearly strangling me but I already feet defeated as if I've been in a battle.

My mind taunts me—you haven't even felt the worst of it yet.

"What's going on?" Austin furrows his brows, running one hand through his golden brown locks. "You look upset."

"I...I found something out today."

"Okay?" he chuckled.

"It's serious, Austin," I groan, annoyed by his careless attitude. "My parents are going to kill me—they're going to kill us! God, I'm freaking out right now—"

"Relax," he pulled me closer, his face nearly in line with my chest that's slightly exposed by the low-cut sundress I wear. His blue eyes, however, stay staring back into mine.

His expression is calm, bound to break.

"I'm pregnant."

I see the life drain out of Austin's eyes. The sparkle that's normally there is now replaced with black orbs. He's staring at me as if I'm a stranger, not his girlfriend. My heart palpitates and I grab his shoulders to steady myself.

"Say something, Austin!"

"I-I-uh, I..." his words fumble out of his mouth without ease and he looks away, running both hands through his hair now much more aggressively, tugging at his roots as a long groan leaves his lips. "This ruins everything."

"We can figure it out, please," I plead, "together—you can't let me do this alone—"

"I don't want a baby, Diana," he scoffs.

"You think I want a baby? I'm only turning twenty in two weeks—"

"We'll go to the clinic," he states rather quickly, standing up and making me fall back a step or two. "We won't tell our parents. We can fix this."

The thought of terminating the pregnancy never even crossed my mind. Actually, it had for a brief moment in the doctor's office when I saw a pamphlet on abortion. But as quickly as the thought came, it left.

Austin's pacing his bedroom now and refusing to make eye contact with me, even when I try to settle him.

"Don't," he growls, shoving my hands off of him.

It's in this moment that I realize he'll never look at me the same. I could run away, never look back and just raise this baby on my own. Facing my parents seems like a nightmare and I'm not sure I want to burden my friends with the news.

"Look at me," I whimper, tears dripping down my hot cheeks. "Stop pacing and actually f.ucking look at me, Austin! Don't you dare act like you're the only one affected right now. There is a baby growing inside of me—"

"A baby that neither of us want. Are you even listening to yourself? We're too young."

Something has a grip on my heart. Possibly my morals, my dignity, my pride, Austin's hatred for me right now... The grip is so tight that I'm not even sure I have a pulse. My body is numbing to the pain it's causing me. Maybe, after all, this is what heartbreak truly feels like. A grip so tight my heart may never recover.

"I need time to think about this," he mutters.

I could stand here all day and scream at him, telling him he needs to help me but I know deep down that there is no point. He doesn't care. He doesn't want this baby. He doesn't want me. My feet carry me back out the way I came in. I nearly stumble down the steps in a rush, sobs rattling out of my aching chest, tears blinding me even as I get into my car.

I get home that night and lock my door, close my curtains and nestle under the sheets. It doesn't bring me much comfort, especially when my mother comes to check on me, asking me if I want to talk or if I'm hungry. Ignoring her eventually sends her on her way.

Four days later, after no contact from Austin, I head over to his house. His car is in the driveway along with his mom's cars. I walk up to the front door, knocking a few times rather then heading straight in after considering the situation.

He could have told his parents.

The door opens and his mother stands there with a sweet smile. "Hello, dear."

"Is Austin home? I have to talk to him," I say with a faint, but seemingly assuring smile.

Her brows furrow and her eyes seem to go dark. "Oh, love, he left for the city yesterday with his brother. He's taking courses at the university. Won't be back. I thought he told you—he told us that you two had broken up."

It's heartbreak that I'm used to; I guess I should have seen this coming. Even as surprised as I am, I can't seem to react. I put my hand to my stomach and smile through my tears at the woman who stares at me with sympathetic eyes. The same eyes her son has, but his lack compassion.

Rather than spewing nonsense at this woman who won't understand, I go back to my car and drive away. I drive until my gas tank is on nearing empty and I'm in the middle of nowhere, a few towns over.

My hands fumble with my cellphone, fingers tapping at the screen until it says it's calling... the dial tone fills my ear and suddenly stops before the line is filled with rustling.

"Hello?" Peter answered.

I burst into hysterical sobs, having lost all of my dignity on the drive to nowhere. "I really need you right now."

* * *
Hello! It's been some time since I updated but I wanted to get more reads & votes before I did. I hope you all enjoyed this chapterthere is still so much more to come.

I'm sure some questions have been answered and maybe you've gotten more as you read.
Is there anything that you want to see/know specifically? I might do some more flashbacks as the story progresses.

What do you think about Austin?

Vote for more Harry and Diana in the next chapter x