Chapter 22: The Pain

Start from the beginning

"You should really go back to school. I don't want you to get in trouble," I said truthfully, locking eyes with Lucas. He sighed, standing up. "I suppose you're right. I love you," Lucas said before placing a kiss on my lips. I reluctantly kissed back and pulled away quickly. After Lucas departed from my room, I opened up my window and climbed out. I went down the fire escape and ran.

I had to find Maya before it was too late. Before she forgot about me completely.

...

Running all the way to Kayla's apartment was tiring. But, I was doing it for Maya. Maya was worth it. I went in the apartment building and made my way toward Kayla's apartment. I gently knocked on the door, not trying to disturb her. A brief minute later, the door opened a little, revealing only one of Kayla's eyes. She opened it all the way once she realized it was me. "Hey, sorry to disturb you, but....." "Riley, Maya's unconscious on the floor!" Kayla exclaimed in panic, interrupting my statement.

Everything stopped in the world. I was paralyzed. I couldn't move. I wanted to run into the apartment and save Maya's life, but I couldn't move. "Call the ambulance" was all I managed to say before I immediately ran into the apartment, into Maya's room. My blonde best friend was sprawled over the floor, pale as ever. My mouth opened, not sure on what to say.

I bent over and put Maya's head on my lap. Her eyes were closed, and her head was bleeding a little, as if she hit her head hard on the ground. None of my emotions responded to what I was seeing. It was as if I was broken without Maya. I ran my thumb along her cheek. I could tell she was still alive, but was slowly giving up. "Don't give up on me, Maya. Please don't leave me," I said, barely audible.

Everything after that moment was a blur. The ambulance came into the apartment and took Maya away from me. I followed them outside and snuck my way into the truck along with Kayla. My hand never left Maya's.

We arrived at the hospital shortly after. I was first allowed into Maya's room. I opened the door and softly closed it behind me. Maya's eyes slowly fluttered open when I sat down next to her. "What did you do?" I asked quietly, my arms crossed over my chest. "I hit my head on accident, and went unconscious for the moment. That's all. Just go home, Riley," Maya said, the first words I heard her say in hours.

I shook my head, uncrossing my arms. "I'm not leaving you. You scared me to death. Maya, you were planning on leaving me. For good. I can't live without you, Peaches....." "Stop talking shit, Riles. You'd be fine without me. You have Lucas after all. You guys love each other very much. I'll never have that. No one loves me. I was having trauma about my mother treating me badly, and you treating me badly. I can't live like this anymore. You won't understand that, and you never will," Maya shot back, her eyes closing and opening.

A tear streamed down my cheek. I couldn't take it anymore. I didn't want Maya to feel pain anymore, and I caused her the pain. I slowly stood up and headed for the door. "Goodbye, Maya," I muttered before leaving the room, and then departing the hospital. It was time for me to make everything right. It was time for me to make Maya happy. I caused her anger.

I caused her sadness. I never made her happy. I was an obstacle to her happiness. I made her forget about herself. It was all my fault. It was never Maya's fault, and I was wrong to blame her for anything. She wasn't the evil one. I was. Even a ray of sunshine can do bad things.

I arrived back at my house thanks to a subway train,. I went up to my room to see Isadora and Zay sitting at the bay window. I stood up straight, crossing my arms. "Did I give you permission to enter my room?" I said, a little more rudely then I expected to be. Isadora's eyes darted from me to the empty spot next to her. I took the hint and sat in the middle of Isadora and Zay.