Chapter One

Camilla

Watching from my dorm room window, I couldn't help staring dreamily as DeAndre got out of his Camaro and jogged along the sidewalk below. His body never ceased to impress me, his quick lithe actions causing his sinewy muscles to ripple underneath his clothes. Muscles I loved to run my fingers over all the time.

As if he heard my thoughts, he glanced up, catching me spying on him, and that thousand watt grin of his made an appearance. He tapped the watch he was wearing, instantly the butterflies in my stomach were back. For a moment, I'd forgotten where he was taking me tonight, to meet his parents.

I gave a little wave of acknowledgement and signaled I'd be right down. Going to my bed, I grabbed my purse before checking my appearance in the mirror one more time.

Sighing, I appraised my thick brown hair I'd left hanging in the naturally curly waves DeAndre loved so much. A knock at the door interrupted me, and I hurried to open it.

"Hey there, gorgeous," DeAndre said, eyeing me appreciatively before he entered the room and swept me into his arms. "You look amazing."

I laughed, before I realized he was holding me in both his arms. "DeAndre! Uh...Hyland, you're not wearing your sling!"

He grinned as I traced over his bicep to his shoulder, resting my hand gently there, the memories of him being shot still too fresh in my mind.

"I went to the doctor today. I don't have to wear it anymore. Everything is healed nicely." He bent to lightly kiss my forehead. "And I told you before, call me DeAndre if you want. It's still my middle name, and it doesn't bother me one bit."

"I worry it'll be awkward around your family. They won't know who I'm talking about." I gave a small laugh and shook my head. "I've been trying to retrain myself, but it's been difficult."

Ever since I'd found out my boyfriend was actually an undercover cop posing as a student at my high school, I'd struggled to switch from using his alias, DeAndre Wilder, to his given name, Hyland Jordan. The problem was, my mind had firmly implanted him as DeAndre. He continued to reassure me it was okay to call him that, but I felt a little weird since no one else did. Well, no one besides DeAndre's best friend, Blake, that is.

Blake had thankfully made a full recovery after being nearly poisoned to death by my previous best friend, James. He was very grateful to DeAndre and the role he'd played on saving his life. It seemed he was almost DeAndre's shadow now, moving here, to Tucson, for school as well and continuing their friendship as if nothing between them had changed.

I liked having him here too. Granted, we'd only been at U of A for a week and had spent most of that time settling in to our new places, but it was nice to have a familiar face around campus.

"Don't worry about it, Cami. Relax and be yourself tonight. My family is going to love you." DeAndre leaned in closer, quickly placing a soft kiss on my cheek, and I gave him a questioning look.

"What?" He asked with a laugh.

"A kiss on the cheek? Really? I must be losing my touch."

He flashed me another grin. "I didn't want to mess up your makeup. Besides, there will be plenty of kissing later on tonight." He winked at me.