Comic Books

Book – Faith: Vol 1: Hollywood and Vine

Author – Jody Houser
Star rating - ★★★★★

** COPY RECEIVED THROUGH NETGALLEY **

Finally! A strong, female main character, who isn't all about falling in love, who isn't all about being the supermodel or the famous one, who is actually more concerned with saving the world and being a good person. Yes!! It's such a relief to see a beautiful, strong woman who is plus size, actually being properly represented. Not only does she kick ass, but she has style, class, an ex boyfriend and is a good person. No more hiding in baggy clothes and always being the side-character of the story!

Faith is awesome. Feisty, fun and I love the little bits where she talks to us, the reader. The line "Although a cute mysterious time traveler would also be my kind of story. Just putting that out in the universe."

And, a modestly dressed female superhero. Who knew, right?

The artwork is just stunning! So evocative and eye catching.

I can't wait to get my hands on the rest of the story. I'm itching to know what happens next. And maybe see Faith stealing back Torque from Sidney. ;)

~

Book – Turncoat

Author – Ryan O'Sullivan
Star rating - ★★★★★
No. of Pages – 164
Cover – So Cool.

** COPY RECEIVED THROUGH NETGALLEY **

I love a good superhero/supervillain story and this was no exception. With incredible graphics and a main character that you loved to hate, it had everything going for it. Great, realistic dialogue, a beautifully overexaggerated storyline that made fun of superhero stories, while staying true to the genre, as well as having a kickass twist at the end.

I loved everything about it.

~

Book – Alice in Wonderland – Manga Edition

Author – Jun Abe
Star rating - ★★★★★

Cover – Gorgeous!
Would I read it again – Yes

** COPY RECEIVED THROUGH NETGALLEY **

Wow. This is not only incredibly beautiful, with the illustrations in such detail, but the intro of how Alive entered Wonderland was unique and brilliant. In the day and age of the story, it's well possible that such things were expected of her – marry a man with a title and money, keep quiet unless it's appropriate, only do, say and dress as she's told to. I really loved her father and his flighty imagination, the way he was vindicated, but only after he wasn't there to see it.

I thought the mention by the Dodo and White Rabbit that she'd been to Wonderland before was genius!

There were one or two moments of confusion, when Stayne's PVO took over, but otherwise it was a great read and I look forward to Volume 2.

~

Book – Limbo

Author – Dan Watters
Star rating - ★★★★★

** COPY RECEIVED THROUGH NETGALLEY **

There is some incredible artwork here. Not only realistic, but setting the right atmosphere and mood for each scene, while allowing us to see crystal clearly everything that matters in that moment. I really loved the way the phone call at the start was written, so that we could only read the words we were supposed to, like a broken connection would allow.

The whole channel hopping idea was inspired and that line about Yorick and Horatio was brilliant! I loved the way the story delved into Voodoo, without being disrespectful or over-exaggerated, as some stories have a tendency of doing. Even the cannibalism aspect was really well done.