12 | Date

9/25/16
•••

"I need you to be completely honest with me Steve."

"Alright."

"Are you ready?"

"Yes."

"Okay." I opened the door and stepped out in front of Steve who was sitting on the couch, drinking water. He glanced at me and suddenly he began to choke.

I creased my eyebrows. "Is it bad? Oh god it's bad isn't it, I knew the white one would be better..." I began ranting worriedly, putting my hands on my head. "Oh no, what if he doesn't like it?" I said panicking, my hands beginning to shake.

I felt hands his on mine, making them stop immediately. It was something I had noticed, he was the only one in my life who could get me to stop the fidgeting as fast as he did. It was a problem I had as a kid, I had bad panic attacks and it would start small with simple shaky hands, but would then progress to me breaking down completely. I hadn't gotten that far since I was twelve, but when he grabbed my hands, I couldn't help but feel that sudden burst of...a certain feeling every time he touched more or looked at me.

Why did it make me feel so guilty?

"Rachel," he said my name lowly, making me blink. "Yes," I responded with the same level of volume and sincerity.

"You look beyond amazing. Beyond beautiful." He said, still holding my hands in his large ones. I didn't answer.

"Calvin would be...an idiot and a fool if he didn't see that."

But you see that, don't you? I wanted to ask, but I couldn't. I wouldn't.

A small smile came to my face. "Thanks," I said quietly.

I hadn't noticed how close we had gotten, he had my hands in his and our chests were nearly touching. I just continued to look back into his eyes and he stared into mine, unblinking.

What is the matter with you? I asked myself in my head.

What was the matter with me?

I softly pulled my hands away and looked down. "Um...thanks." I stepped back brushing the hair from my updo out of my face. "Thanks for that."

He gave a small smile. "Always."

I cleared my throat. "So you like the dress?" I smiled wider.

It was a crimson-colored, quite form fitting, spaghetti strapped dress.

Steve nodded, sitting back down. "I love it. I'm sure Calvin will too."

I smiled at his sweet remark.

There was a knock and suddenly my chill went down the drain. I looked over at Steve with a distressed face, but with a nod and a smile, he eased my worry.

I took a deep breath and opened the door.

Calvin stood in his nice tux holding a bouquet of white roses and a large gorgeous dazzling smile on his face.

My knees nearly weakened. "Woah..."

"Wow." He appeared clearly taken aback as he looked at me. He scratched the back of his head. "Uh...Rachel, you look...gorgeous." He said still in awe. He handed me the flowers and I smiled. "Thank you. You look great." I nodded and cringed in my head.

Great.

He chuckled and put his hand out. "Shall we?"