Chapter 10/Two old men

Later Baron and Mr Mitchel sat on some old stone steps. Baron was tired, the kind of tiredness you get when you think you might be just a little to old for something so self destructive.

'So no luck then?' Baron quizzed in a friendly manner while he pulled the head set from this ear.

'No.' Mr Mitchel said 'Thanks for letting me look around though'.

'No problem, my pleasure', Baron took a swig from a bottle and wished he had stuck to the orange juice he got for Mitchel.

'Only a parent would know this kind of panic. You a father you self?' he asked.

Baron hesitated for a second 'I am, actually'.

'They you will know what its like to lose a daughter'.

'I've never lost a daughter, mislaid one once but never actually lost. You never lose them for good though do you?'

'I don't get you' Mitchel added.

'Well the worse that can happen is that they become a woman.' Baron's eye was caught by the shape of Lisa's cat suit dancing in the distance with Steel.

'oh'.

'Look what makes you so certain she was here?' Baron changed the subject.

'Well we have neighbours Mark and Dorrine. Their girl is a good friend of Lisa's and she's just gone to college. They don't have a computer and they ask if I would keep an eye on their Jemma's journal. She has it on the Internet you know. Well there were these entries in it about a friend who had just turned up'

Baron nodded prodding the conversation along.

'It didn't mention a name but said she was smart, curious, inquisitive. sounded just like our Lisa'

'Ahh well there you go. Did she mention the friend by name?' Baron asked.

'No. Just said she had borrowed some clothes from Jemma to try and get in to this party'

'Well there you go. Smart, curious, inquisitive, could have as well been a description of my daughter'.

'Really?' Asked Mr Mitchel in a slight tired surprise.

'Absolutely'

'So where is this girl of yours now?' ask Barron

'Well I thought she is in a village outside Putatan helping build a water project'.

Baron looked at the worn photograph.

'Well then the kind of girl who is going to help build a water project in Putatan isn't going to come to a party like this. I'm sure she's there but having problems contacting you' Baron reassured him.

'I guess your right' said Mr Mitchel. Mean while Baron was lost in thought looking at the faces in the crowd. His mind had become stuck like a vinyl record jumping at track again and again. 'I went to the sperm bank more than once. I wonder how many more are out there?'.

A few days later Mark and Dorrine came round with a message for Mr Mitchel. They had found an email on his computer.

'Sorry its taken so long to email, found an internet café in a near by town but a bit of a trek to get here. Locals very friendly and the water project going to take longer than I thought. Everyone very nice and should have no problems living off my cash for a bit longer. Well send more when I can. See you closer to term time. Got to go electricity about to be shut off. Love Lisa.'