Disease - Chapter Two

The girl, apparently named Crimson, just stared at me for a minute.  It was a very terrifying minute might I add because she was still a strange girl in my house, and she was still driving me insane with fear, and she was still holding the revolver in her hands.  Instead of letting my knees buckle in fright, I took this oppurtunity to study her face more closely.  She only looked about 15 or 16, only a few years older than me, but she was different-looking, that's for sure.  Her face wasn't dotted with a line of freckles going across her nose like mine was.  It was pale and clear of any blemishes or markings, and she almost looked like one of the porcelain dolls father used to bring back from the factory.  Her eyes were a deep grey color, almost black, and her eyelashes were so long that they burshed the bottoms of her thin, dark eyebrows.  I thought she was pretty, in an odd way. Her face wasn't soemthing you'd normally see in my village, althought that isn't surprising in the slightest.  Any village named "Asylum" clearly won't be the fashion capital of the country.  I coughed loudly to get her attention and she suddenly broke her dumbfounded stare.  Then she started to clap.  She clapped and sang and danced and laughed at me and gave me an uncomfortably tight hug.  After she was done squeezing the air out of me, she held me at arm's length and said, "Well done, Wren!  Oh, I haven't seen an act like that in ages!  That was incredible!  I have to admit, I did belive you were completely off your rocker for a while, but --"  Of course the mainlander would only care about my acting.  They're too rich to care for anything else. "Err... what?" I interrupted somewhat rudely.  She just simply grinned at me with this strange glint in her eyes.  "I like you Wren.  I think you'd make a wonderful addition to my troop.  We're all leading a rebellion, you know.  Fighting against the mainland officials, refusing to accept what they've done with this disease, all those wonderfully terrible things," she went on like this for a while, talking about her rebellion and her rag-tag troop consisting of 3 others almost dreamily.  "And would you guess what else?  Everyone in my troop has lost their family to this stupid disease.  It's like we were meant to be together!  Isn't it wonderful?"  I actually thought it was perfectrly horrible, and I said so.  "Horrible?" she said questioningly, "Why's that?" I thought it was terrible for many reasons, but all I could get out of my mouth was, "Your group doesn't even have a name."  Crimson found that hilarious and started to roll around on the floor, laughing like an idiot.  Once she caught her breath again she popped up from the ground and said, "So, Wren... are you in?"  I thought sbout it for a minute.  It was stupid.  This is ridiculous.  She's a stranger.  I don't trust her all that much.  Forget it.  I'm not doing this.  "I'm in."