Chapter 2: Blinded Fool

Chapter 2

He didn't know where he was headed or where he intended to even go. In all his years of living (which was not that long), he had not once left the protection of his home. This was new, everything was.

Alexander had neared a river. He worried Max would get too tired and wouldn't continue. He dismounted his horse. Alexander went to the front of Max and stroked his head. Max neighed quietly in satisfaction, he rubbed his head on his master's neck.

"Heh.. Max, I guess your my only companion for now. Your very loyal you know that?" Alexander said softly as he smiled. He sat down on the shore of the river. "You better quench your thirst here Max, we'll be leaving soon." 

Alexander reached into his pocket and slowly pulled out the bandage. He sighed. It's only for the best. He removed his hood and with his eyes closed, he wrapped the white bandage over his eyes, tying it tightly in the back. Opening his eyes from behind the bandage, he noticed he could see perfectly, if not a little blurry in the edges.

Alexander put on his hood on after that.

Cupping his hands, he placed his hands under the cold, clear blue water. He drank the water from his hands, loving the sweet, fresh taste.

"Max. I think its time for us to start leaving now." Max tilted his head, like he was listening.

Alexander chuckled, "Dear horse, do you understand me? We must leave." Alexander mounted his horse. Luckily, there was a bridge over the river, so in that direction they went.

The sun was setting, it was getting dark. Poor Alexander, with his bandage covering his eyes, he could barely see in the dark. If he went on, he would surely get hurt or lost.

Alexander slowed down. "Max.." he whispered. "Where are we..?" not expecting an answer, he tried his best to look around. With his poor vision, he found out they were in some kind of forest. A dark, creepy forest that looked more of cemetary. Raised in a royal family, he was taught to be confident, strong, even when he was scared. So Alexander tried with his whole heart not to show if he was frightened.

He saw a black figure run behind a tree. The violet-eyed boy turned to that direction. 'No.. my eyes are just playing tricks on me..' he tried to convince himself. He saw another dash behind a tree. Max flinched. Ok, now he knew something, someone was out there, and was nearing him. 

Something shimmered in the low light that the sun allowed. Alexander's heart sped up. Suddenly, he heard galloping behind him. And it wasn't Max's hooves.. no it sounded like a carriage!

Alexander made Max move to his left so the carriage wouldn't crash into them. Whoever was out there, was gone.

The carriage slowly stopped. Someone poked their head out of the window and motioned for Alexander to stop. The kind looking old man smiled at him. "Why don't you tie your horse next to mine and sit with me in my carriage, sonny?" 

Sitting with the old man in his carriage, Alexander gratefully accepted the bread, cheese and grapes the old man had given him.

"What are you doing in these woods? Didn't you know they are very dangerous for a young boy like you to be traveling alone? You aren't even armed, you could've gotten hurt!" The old man ranted on worriedly. "Oh yes and please help yourself to some wine."

"No thank you sir, I'm not of age. I didn't know. I'm sorry, but my family died recently so I wasn't sure where to go.." he said in the most pitiful tone ever.

The old man's eyes softened. "Well, please have some water then. Very well then, I shall take you into my village!"

Alexander chuckled. "Thank you sir."