Graduation

The thought of her body decomposing in a meaningless hole, made me want to curl up into a ball and cry like I had done so many years ago. Standing over her grave again brought back so many painful memories that I had tried so hard to forget.

"Dad, dad I see her!" I yelled happily grinning and pointing my little finger in her direction. Her tiny figure almost impossible to spot in the sea of green and blue gowns, it was her blonde hair whipping around her head looking as if she had a halo that gave her away. She had looked so lost, not knowing whether to celebrate or breakdown today would be the last time she saw most of her friends. I was probably more excited for her than she was, it was her graduation day! I miss her so much there is not a day that goes by that I do not think of her. Her vibrant green eyes that somehow always shine with curiosity and amazement, smile that never seemed to leave her face and could light up a room on the darkest of days, and her personality was one that you could never forget.

I use to blame myself for her death, had I not asked her to go get me some ice cream. The truck driver who ran the red light because he was trying to get to the hospital to see his son be born, would not have hit her and killed her instantly. Now I see that there isn't anything I could have done, people die every day and that day was hers.

"I love you big sis I wish you were still here" I bent down and kissed her grave stone leaving a simple white rose for her. I turned around and grabbed my cap and gown and walked away.