Chapter 14: Apprentice

Start from the beginning

"Amy...?" He whispered in my ear. I frowned and turned to him, worried by his tone, I noticed he was now properly dressed in his usual black robes. He rested his hands on my shoulders and held me at arm's length. "Are you sure about this?" I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion before smiling gently.

"About what? Pancakes and Bacon?" I teased, feeling lighter when I was rewarded with the mirth that entered his eyes.

"No, not Pancakes and Bacon. This...?" He gestured a hand between us, showing he meant whatever was going on between us. I looked into his eyes and rested my hand on his cheek, feeling him lean into my touch.

"What is this?" I asked quietly as I turned back around and continued making pancakes. When I looked back to him I was surprised to find he was smiling softly.

"I've absolutely no idea. Which is a novel experience for me. You?" He said, eyes glinting with mischief. I shook my head and laughed at him.

"Nope. Same as you. Utterly clueless. And just as novel." This time I was rewarded by his soft laugh that still managed to bounce off the walls and make me grin. I dished up the food and put it on the table. Getting the schedule that he had given me on Tuesday out of my bag, I sat down next to him. He watched me as I unfolded the paper and read it.

"Amy... Did you even read it before now?" I shook my head without looking at him, immersed in the few short sentences that were neatly printed on the paper.

Second Years.

Swelling Potion. They will continue to try and make it. I will mark some papers whilst you help them and make sure all ingredients are handled correctly. At around half way through we will swap.

First Years.

The Forgetfulness Potion. Be careful. The boy you ran into in my classroom the other day, Jack Stevens, is in this class. Not that he will necessarily disobey you. But he is a little shit...

I stopped reading and put the Parchment down on the table, hitting Severus's arm and laughing. He looked up at me in confusion.

"What did I do?" He asked incredulously. I picked up the Parchment again and read the last few lines that I had read back to him. When I was done, I looked up at him disapprovingly and grinned as he watched me sheepishly. "Well... No one has ever told me off for being honest bef..." He doesn't finish because I hit him on the arm again, this time with the rolled up Parchment. He laughed loudly and I found myself joining in. We both stopped suddenly as the door appeared and we heard a knock. Severus sat up straighter and cleared his throat, trying and failing to stop his own laughter.

"Ahem... Yes. Who is it?"

"'Tis merely an old fool Severus. Would you be so kind as to open the door for me Miss Baxter?" I laughed at the Headmaster's uncanny ability to know the ins and outs of everything that goes on in the school grounds. I grinned at Severus and opened the door, stepping aside I let the Headmaster in. He bowed to me politely, if what with some difficulty due to the fact he was holding a large box.

"Why thank you Amelia. Your personal ingredients arrived Severus." He walked over and put the box on the table, taking a seat at the table next to mine and I shook my head at him and smiled. As I sat down I picked up the piece of Parchment, unrolled it, and continued to read, drowning out the chatter of my Teacher and Headmaster.

...for me. Anyway, your task for this lesson will be a little different to the first. You will be brewing your own Potion at my desk instead and there won't be any marking to do. I may even ask you to take over the lesson some of the time. Depending on how well you do with the Second Years.