Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Warning/s:

Disclaimer: I don't own Merlin.

A/N: This is kind of a filler chapter but I promise that it's necessary! I hope you are all enjoying this story. Also, I am sorry for this being up a little late but it's my brother's 10th birthday and I've been busy baking his cake and preparing the birthday tea we're having :D

"Another council meeting," Merlin grumbled, pulling the covers up further over her head. "Probably just Arthur wanting to tell us that he's replacing one of the bricks in the West Wall."

"Get up," Percival chided her, sitting on the edge of the bed. "It could be something important."

Merlin grumbled and burrowed deeper into the bed. "I'm tired," she moaned, and groped for her pillow. "Let me sleep."

"Up," Percival insisted, yanking the covers off. Merlin shivered in the cold rush of air and threw the pillow at her husband, scowling. "Come on."

Reluctantly, Merlin sat up and stretched. "I don't want to," she grumbled, but still rolled out of bed and headed to her wardrobe grumpily. "Can we go back to bed after the meeting?" she asked, pulling a dress out of the wardrobe and a hairbrush from the side.

"As long as there's nothing else to do," Percival agreed. Merlin smiled and pulled her nightgown over her head, throwing it in the general direction of the laundry basket, and stepping into the dress with a little difficulty. She was too clumsy to get dressed easily. Percival helped her to do up the back and she ran the brush through her unruly black locks, not bothering to do anything much. She was planning to let Arthur now just how annoyed she was at being disturbed.

It was only a brief walk from their chambers to the Main Hall, but Merlin made sure to drag her feet. In the end, Percival just picked her up and carried her, giggling and kicking lightly, until they reached the doors. He set her down so they could walk in and they discovered that they were the last to arrive. Merlin glared at Arthur and stormed over to her seat, sitting down heavily.

Arthur wasted no time in getting to the point. "The Saxons are moving towards Camelot," he announced bluntly. Merlin sat up a little, alarmed now. "I am raising an army to face them, but it would be unwise to send out men before we know what the Saxons are planning." He glanced at Gwen, who nodded in silent agreement. "Therefore we are preparing for a siege." There was a sharp intake of breath around the table. Sieges were not something to be taken lightly, but all had full trust in their king.

"I need my men to help me train the newer knights and prepare battle techniques," Arthur continued. "Guinevere has volunteered to round up servants and help to store food for the siege. Merlin, you do not have to help, but—"

"Say no more," Merlin interrupted, paying rapt attention to the king now. "I'm on it." Without waiting for his leave, she scraped her chair back and hurried from the Council chambers, heading down to the kitchens.

"Please listen," she called out once she reached the warm, aromatic kitchens. All heads turned to her. "We are preparing for a siege. The King has ordered all food to be stored and rationed. I will assist you, as will the Queen. Please begin preparations immediately."

There was a pause and then bustle as everyone began yelling at each other and hurrying around. Merlin herself headed to the great cupboards and started to arrange the food by how long it would last; jars of honey went to the back, meat and bread came to the front. She focused on her task so she could ignore how her hands were trembling; she knew that Percival would have to fight against the Saxons, as one of Camelot's best warriors, but she always feared for his safety despite his skill.

There was no way that he would let her come out with him; even if he could find a feasible excuse for why Merlin was out with him, he insisted that her magic was not enough. Her reflexes were too slow, he kept telling her, but Merlin thought that really he just wanted to know that she was safe for comfort of mind.

She went along with it, but she wasn't happy about it.