Chapter Two

Castiel looked down at his schedule as he rushed through the halls. He had never been late to a class in his life and he wasn't going to start today, on the first day of his last year of high school. He double checked his first period class. Math. That was on the second floor and still three or four hallways away. He looked around, then broke into a run. He couldn't believe he had let some boy distract him and cause him to possibly to get his first ever tardy. But he wasn't just some boy. He was the first person in a long time to have anything nice to say to him. He hoped it wasn't a joke.

He looked down at his watch as he turned the final corner of his journey to math class. he still had thirty seconds. He slid to a stop in front of the door, took a moment to stop breathing so hard, and entered the room calmly.

"Good morning Castiel! I almost thought you weren't going to make it!" Mrs Mori, the math teacher, greeted him warmly, which was met with snickers from the class. Castiel could just about hear there snuck up thoughts. "Teacher's pet", "Suck up", "Ass kisser", "Kiss ass". He shook his head in attempt to get the voices out of his head as he slid down into his usual seat in the front of the room. The late bell rang, and Mrs Mori began bustling about, preparing for her class to start. Ms Steiner, one of the school's secretary's poked her head into the room and motioned for Mrs Mori to speak with her. They conversed in hushed tones for a moment, then Mrs Mori turned to the class and asked for Castiel. Confused, Cas slowly stood from his seat and walked over to the teachers. Ms Steiner guided him out into the hall.

"Castiel, this is Dean." She said gesturing to the boy standing awkwardly in front of her.

"I know." Cas deadpanned, not taking his eyes off Dean. There was something different about this boy, something weird, but weird in a good way.

"Have you met?" Ms Steiner asked.

"Outside before school." Dean jumped in "He lent me a book." He gave a slight smile as he said this giving Cas little butterflies that he couldn't explain.

"Well good!" Ms Steiner said cheerily. "Castiel here is going to be your own personal helper, Dean. Cas is a great student, one of our favorites, and he has the same schedule as you! So if you need help finding a classroom, or help in a class, just follow Castiel!"

Cas stared at the floor in complete embarrassment during Ms Steiner's introduction. As she left down the hall, he looked shyly up at Dean who was looking at him curiously.

"So... This is math class." He said, gesturing to the door. Dean laughed, making Cas smile as he opened the door for Dean. They walked into the room and there was instantly murmuring and whispers from Cas's fellow classmates. He couldn't explain it but this made him want to jump in front of Dean and yell for them to stay back to not touch him he was his and not theirs to corrupt and use in their silly little popularity contest. They got to have every friend in the world he just wanted this one for himself.

"Castiel?" Mrs Mori's voice broke him out of his thoughts. "Would you like to introduce the new student to the class?" Cas sighed. He hated speaking to his classmates.

"Sure. This is Dean.... uh...?" He looked at Dean, searching for a last name.

"Winchester." Dean said smiling a bit at the way Cas tilted his head in confusion.

"Dean Winchester. He's new." He gestured that he was done, and slid back down into the comfort of his seat. He watched Dean look around the classroom, looking for a spot to sit. He could feel the energy in the room. The way the girls sat up a little taller, hoping the new attractive boy would sit next to them. The way the guys tried to casually slide back in their chairs as if they didn't care even though they all wanted to convert this new guy into one of their mindless zombies. Cas's mouth fell open in amazement when the chair next to him slid back and Dean flopped down right next to him in the otherwise empty front row of the classroom. Cas's jaw dropped as he stared in amazement that this boy would actually sit next to him. Dean looked over at his awestricken face.