Once I composed myself, Lotus helped dry me with a heavy towel, and by my vanity she brushed my hair. Then she helped me with my makeup. She dabbed gold powder on my eye lids and traced the edges of my eyes with black kohl liner. The contrast of the makeup and my fair skin tone made my eyes look much bluer. She poured perfumed oils over my neck and arms and then helped me slip into the wedding gown. The gown itself was as blue as precious lapis, and was beaded with turquoise and pearls. Then she fastened a beaded collar around my shoulders, one that was fashioned with gold, carnelian, and lapis.

On my arms I wore golden armlets, and a golden bracelet on each wrist. I draped a golden scarab amulet over my beaded collar, and on my fingers I wore my golden scarab engagement ring and the silver lotus ring Ahmose had given me long ago. I wrapped a silver shawl around my shoulders.

Finally, Lotus opened up an ornate box and inside was a golden cobra diadem with sapphire eyes and beads of gold and pearls.

"This had been worn by the great queen on her wedding day many years ago," she whispered. She took it from the box and placed it upon my brow, the beads cascading down my hair. She stepped away to get a better look at me. I felt the weight of fortune in each piece of jewelry, knowing my garments alone were worth more than King Tut's sarcophagus.

"My Lady, you shine like the sun," she breathed. "You are the most beautiful woman to ever grace Egypt. All of Thebes will fall before your eloquence."

I gave the small girl a hug. "Please accompany me to the temple," I said, hoping I had found a new friend in her, one that might ease the burden of Menefer. The girl's eyes twinkled like starlight and her lips spread into a grin.

Taking her hand, we walked together down the corridor to the outer edge of the river where our boat waited to sail us across the Nile to the Hatshepsut's temple. The guards and servants trailed behind us as we boarded the golden wooden vessel inlaid with lapis and pearls. The joyous expressions upon each of their faces gave me a great sense of pride and appreciation; they were truly happy for us.

The Nile River glittered like diamonds under the sun as we sailed upriver, and my heart swelled with joy as people waved to me from the riverbeds. They forgot all about the incident at Karnak and no longer deemed me as a threat when Pharaoh announced we would be wed. They accepted me, just as Ahmose said they would. I held Lotus' hand for comfort, though the acceptance by the Egyptian people was enough to embrace my heart with their love.

When the port finally came into view, my heart labored in my chest, stirring up sickness in my stomach once again. There were so many people crowded together to greet me as we sailed into port. They reached their hands out to me, desperate to touch me, believing they could be blessed by my magic. "Healer of Isis; Savior of Pharaoh," they chanted as I passed them. I stretched my hand out to them and let them grasp my palm as we passed through the city. Then they began to overcrowd us. Guards swarmed us, keeping the crowd at bay as we came to the great stairs that led up to the temple.

The temple was a splash of bright colors, and the statues of Hatshepsut that lined the garden watched over us with unwavering, protective eyes. The fragrance of blossoms wafted around us, and songstresses plucked on lyres as they sang a soft melody. I stepped onto the first stair, and the people suddenly fell into deep bows.

After the first crowd of people, my anxiety subsided, and I gained confidence from the adoration in their eyes. Lotus placed her calming hand over my trembling fingers as I held on to her arm.

When we reached the first plane, more people began to bow on each side of us as we continued to ascend another set of granite steps. The heat on my skin, the cool breeze of the garden, it was as if I had stepped into paradise, ascending to heaven behind the closed doors of the chapel above.