Fifteen

Fifteen

MENEFER helped me dress for dinner in a purple gown studded with pearls. My stomach rolled in waves as we walked together to the dining hall. Each time Menefer's hand slipped up to her cheek, my heart burned even more with resentment for Kephri.

By the door, Ahmose stood, his head bowed as he examined the ceramic tiles of the floor. Under the firelight, they glistened like the colorful gems of his studded collar. His expression was masked as he waited in the shadow of a column. My heart thumped as his eyes, the color of a sunrise, found mine. I wanted to run into his arms, but when he stepped from the darkness, the longing in his eyes reminded me of my deadline in this period.

"I'll see you soon," I said to Menefer, my other source of comfort, as I dreadfully watched her leave me for the evening.

Ahmose reached out for my hand, and fire flooded my veins the instant his skin brushed mine. My longing for him was overwhelming. He must have sensed it too. His lips parted, and for a moment I thought he would lean in and kiss me, but instead he asked, "How are you feeling?"

Disappointed, I bit my lip to suppress the heat coming to life on my tongue, and replied, "Confused." I had meant to say angry, but I couldn't shake this tingling desperation to be in his arms.

Ahmose's lips sunk into a deeper frown.

Did he feel this same longing in his heart that tugged at mine? Put your arms around me, I wanted to say. Hold me, I can't stand being apart from you! I started to speak, and so did he, and we both halted before any words could form, waiting for the other to continue.

Ahmose smiled, a little humored. "Kara," he breathed.

"Yes?" I sighed, desperate to hear him profess all that I was feeling...emotions that prickled at the base of my spine.

"I am sorry about what happened to your servant girl. Justice will prevail, I promise."

"I know," I replied and squeezed his hand. My other palm found its way to my chest, attempting to calm my pounding heart. I gazed up into his eyes and said, "I trust you."

He smiled and as he leaned in to me, my breath caught and became a quiver in my breast. His fingers lightly brushed along my cheek. My eyes slid closed, and the trace of warmth left by his fingers extended down my jaw, through my arm and into my own digits as I reached up and grasped his. Pinpoints of colorful light twinkled around us as the gems around his chest sparkled in the lantern light. My fingers spread over his hand as I turned my cheek into his palm.

He leaned in and brushed my forehead with his. He whispered, "I've missed you so much."

I could not forget our encounter earlier. Memories of his arms around me, of his lips against mine, came tumbling back. I pressed myself against him and he backed away. Confused, I opened my eyes and searched his face. His eyes became sullen, reminding me of the decision we had made...reminding me that my time in Egypt was not permanent.

Ahmose ran his hand over his face, determined to compose himself. "Thutmosis and the others will join us shortly. You may go on in and have a seat, I'll be right back... I am in need of fresh air."

I watched Ahmose silently slip into the shadows of the dark passageway, become a ghost in the growing twilight. I drew in a deep breath to calm my frantic heart.

The dining room was a darkened chamber filled with lamps and hanging lanterns. The alabaster lamps created a warm glow that seemed to encase the golden table which glimmered brightly under the lanterns. The shadows of night made their way into the room and darkened where the firelight did not touch. Upon the table was an amphora of sparkling wine surrounded by five chalices. And then I remembered Menefer.