"Where will you go?" he asked quietly, shifting his gaze to the western wall.

"I am unsure," I answered. "Perhaps if I retrace my steps, I will be able to find my way home."

"Back to the twenty-first century?" he asked sharply. He fully understood now what I meant by departing. I didn't want to just leave the palace. I wanted to leave this world.

"Hopefully," I replied, wondering if I would ever be able to find my way home. "I want to thank you for your hospitality. You have been so generous to me. I can never repay you for all you have done for me."

I had overstayed my welcome long ago. I could sense he wanted me to leave, but he would never order me away because he was a good man trying to honor his word.

"You have an interesting way of showing your gratitude," he snapped, despite my tears. I bit my lip to suppress the sobs that tore through me.

I started to leave, but hesitated by one of the pillars. When I turned back to him, I had expected to see him return to work, but instead he sat quietly, watching me retreat to the tall shadows.

"Pharaoh," I whispered, gazing at him over my shoulder. He watched me with a grave expression. I will miss you, I wanted to say, but instead I shook my head and replied, "Nothing."

Though physically I was fine, I was in so much agony, several seconds passed before I wrapped my head around what was happening; around the fact that he was happy to see me go. He was glad to be rid of me.

The walk back to my chamber was long and quiet. My swimmy head made the walls around me feel as if they were spinning. I had to catch myself a couple times to keep from stumbling, and when I finally made it to my door, I collapsed into a broken heap on the polished tiles. I buried my face into my arms and screamed as waves of emotion wracked my frame.

Thutmosis; the manipulative scoundrel had been behind every tragedy that had befallen us. He had violated me, and Ahmose could no longer stand to look at me. Now that I was leaving, who would protect Ahmose from his grim fate? How quickly he had forgotten he was destined to become history's lost pharaoh.

I lay upon the polished tiles until I could gather enough strength to lift myself from the floor. And then I began to tidy my chamber. I changed into the clothes I had originally worn that fateful day I had been plummeted into the ancient past, and I gathered my personal items into my satchel. The jewelry and adornments Ahmose had given me were all placed in the ornate box by my vanity. They had been gifts from him and did not belong to me, so I would leave them behind.

Suddenly, my door creaked open and Iset came into the room. Her expression was unnaturally dark for her lovely face. She came into the light like a sad figurine. I shifted uncomfortably as she watched me. I did not blame her for Thutmosis' actions, but she was one of the last people I wanted to see.

"My lady, please tell me it is not true," she said quietly and wrapped her arms around me. "Please tell me you are not leaving!"

"I must leave, Iset. I do not belong here," I whispered.

"I understand," she sighed. "I can see in your eyes you have yearned for your home for a long time now." Around her neck she wore an amulet shaped like an ankh. Its golden surface reflected brilliantly as she removed it and placed it over my head. "I pray the goddess Isis will give you safe passage on your journey."

I clasped the ankh in my hand and fingered the tiny rubies encrusted in each of its corners. "Thank you," I murmured.

Her lips shifted into a small smile. "Oh, before I forget," she said suddenly. From the pocket of her robe, she pulled out a pouch and placed it in my hand. "Pharaoh asked me to bring this to you. He couldn't come himself," she explained. I opened the pouch and found coins of Egyptian gold inside. "During your journey, you will need food and shelter from the nights. It should be a sufficient amount to last you for a while. It should be more than enough to get you home."