Baby-sitter

Wilde times chapter 3

"Babysitting"

The small desert fox stared at the tall in a dumfounded expression, unable to process what he had just said to him. Finnick blinked at Nick who was holding a large grin of desperation while he held a fox pup in a blue onesie in his paws. Nick caught him off guard from knocking on his van door, which was also his home in Downtown Zootopia.

"Are you kidding me?" Finnick said in his rough deep voice, flicking his glasses down over his eyes as he sun bathed behind his van.

"Finnick. Buddy. My old pal, I'm asking you one tiny favor." Nick explained softly while he bounced the pup up and down. Finnick ignored him and took a long sip of his lemonade, with a sigh he lifted his head up towards the sun.

"The answer is no. I ain't no babysitter."

"Finny! It's just for a couple of hours, I wanted to take Carrots to a restaurant for date night and I forgot to call for a babysitter!" Nick explained when he held his pup close to him. He needed to get ready in twenty minutes and he didn't want to tell Judy that he forgot to call someone to take care of their son.  Even though he said he did.

Finnick's mouth went into a thin line. "Ain't my problem."

Nick growled softly and took a glance at his son, who sucked on his binky. Unaware of what his father was up to. With a soft groan, Nick had to use his pocket. "I'll pay you Finnick, twenty bucks an hour alright, that's forty!"

That seemed to got his attention when he glanced at him, moving his sunglasses down slightly. Forty bucks for two hours? Just to take care a three month old baby? Sounds like a great deal to him. Finnick grinned and sat up.

"Deal."

Nick's ears sprang up. "Great! Here's Nicholas Jr.!" He placed the pup into Finnick's arms, the small fox stared at the pup with a small scowl, unsure of what to do with it once Nick leaves. Nick swiftly snatched the diaper bag he had on the ground and passed it to Finnick. "There's a couple of diapers in there, with baby powder and also some bottles with milk, just make sure to feed him slowly-"

Finnick's eyes widened slightly from the long list Nick gave him to just take care of one pup. He actually was starting to regret for having said yes. Nick gave his son a playful pat on the head.

"See ya Nicky, Daddy will be back soon." He said sweetly while cooing, making Finnick gag silently. Before, Nick was as tough as him, he would have never been on the path of friendly and kind, especially baby-talk. At least until he meet Judy. With Nick out of the business of hustling, Finnick had to find work somewhere else. He was actually lucky to find a small club for him to play his guitar at.
Nick Jr. babbled softly when he reached his arms out to his father, but instead of picking him up his father waved goodbye and was soon out of the alleyway. Out of sight. Finnick sighed and glanced at the pup. Nick Jr. sniffed and his eyes started to water at the stranger that had him instead of his father. Finnick cringed when he held the pup out as if he was a dirty towel while he began to sniffle and whine.

"Uh, what is it? What are you crying about?" Finnick asked and immediately felt stupid for thinking that the baby was going to respond with words. He flinched when the pup began to struggle against his arms and cry loudly. Finnick's ears went down from the loud shriek and wails that came out of the fox pup. He immediately bounced the baby up and down, bringing him up over his head. "What's the matter?!" He demanded with annoyance. "I have no idea why you are crying?!"

The pup writhe and cried louder, making Finnick dig his paw into the diaper bag taking out a bottle. "Are you hungry or somethin'? Here." He poked the bottle to the baby's lips but the pup refused to take one sip. Finnick growled in frustration and sat up from his lounge chair, taking the baby with him. "I have no idea whatcha want from me."

He pulled open the van door and set the baby down on a beanbag chair. He needed to think, but it was difficult when the baby continue to cry. His face was already drenched with tears and was banging his little fists down on the bean bag. Finnick grimace at the sight of the pup.

"Geez, you're a crybaby." He smirked slightly. "Just like your dad I guess, well...you're adopted but still..." He shrugged as he jumped inside, dragging the diaper bag with him. "Your dad was a big crybaby when I met him." Finnick began, not noticing the baby slowly start to calm down. "That big idiot."

Finnick collapse on the carpeted floor, using the diaper bag as his pillow as he stared at the pup. "You know, when he met your mum...he turned completely different and became that big cry baby again." Finnick picked up his electric guitar, a red shiny one that he got in a pawn shop. He strummed the chords, adjusting the sound when he hummed. "Didn't leave my van for a week when they had that fight all those years ago."

Nick Jr. sucked on his tail when he stared at Finnick, mesmerized by his words and the sound of his guitar. "He even kept that dumb carrot pen for three months until she came back."
Finnick chuckled. "I guess I can see why he liked her. She's alright. Glad that idiot found someone to take him in."

Finnick sat up and turned to the baby, surprised that he actually stopped crying and was looking at his guitar. He grinned when he pointed at it. "Ya like it huh? I guess you have good taste." He strummed the guitar seeing the pup giggle in response. Finnick leaned back in interest.

"I guess I can show you some of my new songs, kid." Nick Jr. gurgle in response and clapped his paws together in excitement. Finnick reached his paw out and gave the pup a friendly noogie. He was a little cute, he supposed.

Nick and Judy strolled down the alley arm in arm, seeing Finnick's van parked in the distance. They were glad to have a little alone time after months of taking care of their pup. Yet, even on their date they still talked about their son and worried about him. Judy glanced at Nick and pulled on his tie gently.

"You think Junior is okay? You know how he gets with strangers." Judy said softly. Nick patted her paw in comfort.

"He was okay when I dropped him off."

"Y-yeah maybe you're right, maybe he is okay-!" The two parents jumped when they heard loud rock music coming from inside the van. Judy and Nick rushed around and pulled open the van door to find Finnick playing his electric guitar as if he was possessed. Banging his head up and down to the beat while Nick Jr. clapped widely at the dancing Finnick. Judy swiftly pulled her pup from the roaring stereo, afraid for his sensitive ears. She blinked when she found little ear plugs in her child's ears. Nick clutched his own while he yelled at Finnick.

"Hey! Have you lost it!?"

Finnick stopped rocking out and finally took notice of the two annoyed parents. Finnick shrugged when he set down the guitar.

"Come on, the kid likes it!"