I went back to my chamber and played my lyre, trying to ease the frantic thumping in my chest. Ahmose had finally returned, and for the first time in nearly three months, I had glimpsed him in the crowd. I wanted to go to him, to throw my arms around him, but I wanted to give him space and allow him the chance to come to me instead.

An hour passed, and I was now pacing the room to try to calm my nerves. My stomach was roaring with nausea, and I started at every sound that passed my door. I was so anxious to see him after all this time. But as more time passed, my excitement turned into dread and I began to worry he had forgotten about me.

There was a knock on the door that startled me out of my thoughts, causing me to drop my lyre. It landed on the tiled floor with a loud clank.

"Kara?" a sweet voice called. My heart sunk; it was Menefer. She slowly opened the door and peeked inside. I picked my lyre up from the floor and sat it on the table. "His Majesty has summoned you. Are you ready to go?"

"He wants to see me?" I breathed, my heart overcome with joy. I had missed him terribly, but now that I had the chance to be near him, why was I so afraid? "I can't go to him now!"

I was probably a coward for avoiding him for a little bit longer, but I convinced Menefer take a walk with me, and it eased my nerves. We walked down the corridor and under the tall columns that were profoundly decorated with pictures and bright colors. Tapestries flapped in the wind, and the scent of incense carried lightly on the breeze.

We went to the garden where it was quiet, the only sounds coming from the birds that had taken refuge in the canopy of the Cyprus trees. There were flowers everywhere, their scents wafted around us sweetly in an intoxicating breeze. There was a lone bench by the pool and we sat on it as we gazed out over the warm water.

"I am troubled," I said, and Menefer plucked a flower and fondled its petals.

"What ails you?" She tucked the yellow blossom in her hair. "Do I look pretty?" she asked.

"Yes," I replied. "You look very beautiful."

She smiled and tapped my hand. "What has you so disheartened today?"

I bit my tongue and considered my words carefully, because I wasn't sure what I felt, if anything at all. "I am very fond of Pharaoh," I answered.

She smiled, and a gentle breeze tasseled her thick black hair. "Yes, I know." She gave me a knowing grin. "It is obvious. Whenever you hear his name, you waver like a blushing maiden."

Heat rose to my cheeks. I hadn't realized my infatuation with him was so obvious.

"I believe he is fond of you too," Menefer said. "Before he left, his eyes were always on you, safeguarding you like a silent protector. He always appeared ready to jump in front of you and take an arrow to the heart."

"He's a good man," I said, dwelling on her words as they rattled through my head. "I'm sure all the women desire him."

Menefer laughed and kicked her feet in the pool, splashing water into ripples. Cool bumps grew on my skin, afraid of what her eyes had probably seen. She knew everything that went on here. I hoped she wouldn't tell me something about him I didn't want to hear. "Usually a man with his beauty would take advantage of it and lay siege to all the women in his court. But Pharaoh is not like that at all. I think he's lonely, or perhaps he is waiting for something. I cannot tell." I sighed in relief.

I heard voices coming from one of the halls. I spied Thutmosis in the corridor heading our way. He was trailed by a couple of his guards. I grabbed Menefer's hand and started to make a run for it as he advanced down the hall and caught sight of us in the garden. His obsidian eyes glared at me, causing me to recall the night he had offered his mistress to Ahmose.