Happy Birthday Conor! (Jan 10th)

Karlie was waiting for Conor at The Small Chicago Cafe. She wore a black dress with strappy brown sandals. It was Conor's birthday.

Karlie was feeling nauseous and sick. 

"Hey Conor." Karlie stood up and gave Conor a hug.

"You look amazing." Conor said sitting in his seat.

"Thanks, happy birthday." Karlie said. 

Karlie and Conor ordered food and ate it all up, especially Karlie.

"So here's your birthday presents." Karlie said handing Conor a small blue box and a red box that was the size of a softball.

"Thanks." Conor lifted the top off the short and small blue box, he lifted out a gift card, "Damn, 500 dollars gift certificate for gas."

"Open the other one!" Karlie said.

He did, "How much did this cost?" Conor pulled out a 2012 Rolex watch.

"Do you like the presents?" Karlie asked.

"I love them, and you." Conor said reaching across the table grabbing holding Karlie's hand.

"That's not all." Karlie said with a disappointed look in her face.

"What's wrong?" Conor asked squeezing Karlies hand.

"Um. Tomorrow's hockey game, will be my last." Karlie wiped a tear off her cheek.

"What?" Conor's face went pale, he was at a loss for Karlie's loss.

"Don't worry, I'll still make 3,000,000 million the next three years. It's in the Nike contract." Karlie was starting to ramble.

"Karlie, but why? I don't care about the money, I care about your dreams of the Olympics." Conor asked looking into Karlie's eyes.

"I'm two months pregnant, I went to the doctor because I haven't felt well recently." 

Conor's face lit up, "That's great!" Conor stood up and lifted Karlie up from her chair and kissed her.

"This is the best birthday ever." Conor said making his way out of the restaurant.

January 11th, 2012. Women's Ice Hockey Worlds. Atlanta, Georgia. Two Minutes before Karlie hits the ice.

Karlie was in her full pads, just about ready to hit the ice. It was only Conor and Karlie in the locker room. Conor was trying to calm Karlie down, "You can do this, you're Karlie May Kranes. I believe in you, make this your best game."

Karlie took a deep breath. She grabbed her helmet from Conor's hands and put it on her head.

Conor left the locker room to go watch the game, "I'll see you at your press conference." He said.

Karlie found her hockey teammates in the hallway, just outside the ice. 

"Hey Karlie." Karlie's teammate Olivia greeted.

"Hey. Guys lets get in a huddle." Karlie said pulling teammates in.

"What's wrong. You seem off." Karlie's captain said.

"Guys, I love you." Karlie said.

"Are you breaking up with us?" Charlie asked giggling.

"No. Today is my last game with hockey, forever." Karlie said calmly. There was a second of silence then mad chatter.

"Come on guys lets go!" The Team USA hockey manager yelled.

"Karlie go first onto the ice!" Natalie the captain said her. Karlie nodded her head. They stepped into the arena. Karlie knocked down the hockey pucks for warmup. 

This game was crucial, the gold medal game. There record was 7-0 so far in the Worlds standings. Team USA was going against Canada, their rival.

Karlie stood in her right wing position waiting for the puck drop. The official dropped the puck, USA won the first face off. The puck went to the left wing. Karlie skated behind the goal and around it, dodging defenders.

Karlie was open, the center passed to Karlie. Karlie weaved the puck with her stick, took a back handed shot. Boom, first goal of the game. The crowd went wild. Karlie's team all hugged her.

By the end of the second quarter it was 2-0, USA in the lead. The third quarter Karlie sat out the whole thing, she felt sick. The end of the third quarter it was 2-5, USA losing.

Karlie asked her coach if she could go in. He said, no. It was five minutes into the fourth quarter, USA was tired so the coach called a timeout. Half way through the timeout, the crowd started to chant Karlie's number. 21,21,21,21... 

Karlie's coach rolled his eyes at the crowd, "Okay Karlie, go in."

Karlie hopped over the bench and skated to her right wing position. The center, Natalie passed the puck to Karlie. Karlie stick handled the puck to the goalie and into the net. The crowd cheered and began to chant again.

The score was 3-5

Boom, Karlie made another goal. 4-5.

One minute left in the game. Karlie was focused on the puck, the puck went to team Canada. They made it into the USA's defense zone. They took a shot, it was denied.

The puck flew across the center line, Karlie was the only one across the center line. Karlie sped towards the puck with twenty seconds left. Karlie was on a breakaway, the crowd cheering her name this time. Karlie took a shot, it hit the goalies leg pads. It bounced off and flew backwards into the net. 

Karlie fell backwards purposely. The end of fourth quarter buzzer buzzed. Karlie's team trampled on her.

The game wasn't done yet, it was 5-5. 

Karlie was out all of overtime. But Natalie scored the winning goal for USA. Karlie started crying on the bench, her hockey career just started; but it ended so quickly. Karlie jumped over the bench and went to her goalie, joining the team group hug.

Karlie watched as her country's flag rose above Canada and Europe, with a gold medal around her neck.