Chapter Six: Meet the Parents

Start from the beginning

"Yes, she's here." Sheetal pointed at the old woman sitting on the bench holding her bottle against her chest. She gurned her gums and smacked her lips looking around like she was lost. Into her fifties, Olivia looked sixty as the rough life in the city had aged her. She'd lost her teeth, the wrinkles on her face showed the suffering she had over time and reached out for the bottle; her only companion.

"She hasn't spoken to anyone and hasn't moved from the bench since she arrived." Sheetal took out the fresh stack of boxes.

"She doesn't look well." Mahnoor deciphered from the shade of yellow on her skin.

Dressed in a smart black trousers and black shirt, the vicar was always at hand at the food drive. He opened the doors to the church allowing anyone to use the facilities if need be.

"Ah Ms Qureshi!" He smiled. "Lovely to see you."

Mahnoor exchanged pleasantries. "Is the doctor coming today?" She enquired hoping Olivia could be checked.

The vicar shook his head. "I doubt it. We weren't able to book one in time. But we have the regular nurse."

The vicar waved inside the gazebo where the nurse bandaged the hand of a service user.

"It's Olivia." Mahnoor noted with a gesture of her hand.

"Ah Olivia." The vicar clasped his hands together. Olivia was dependant on alcohol. She settled from place to place and often suffered from serious infections. She was slowly dying due to sclerosis of her liver.

"It would have been good if she was checked over by a doctor." Mahnoor added.

Little did Mahnoor know that Amirah and Ayaaz planned a special appearance from a well known family doctor. Amirah held her father's bag in excitement skipping ahead of him making her way towards the church.

"Hurry dad!" She beckoned him as she straggled behind.

"I'm only doing this for you, Princess. He straightened his red tie. "I have one hour, then I have a shift at the hospital."

"Yes, yes dad!" She presed on her toes and looked around the rush searching for Ayaaz.

When her eyes landed on Mahnoor and Sheetal, she swallowed her squeal of excitement in order to keep a straight face.

"I don't understand when you started doing voluntary work." Khizar asked.

"I know you are driven by money, daddy. But you can at least do something for the community." She linked her arm with his and took him towards the shurch. "They are very grateful that you could volunteer your time today. They have a special area where you can see patients and check them. Most of these people have never seen a doctor in years."

"I don't need a lecture from my daughter about charity work." He admonished.

"Father Jenkins!" Amirah waved her hand at the vicar and hauled him over by the tug of his arm. "Father, this it my dad. He's a doctor!" She smiled like she presented the vicar with a celebrity. It could have been a celebrity for Father Jenkins. Doctors' diagnosis advice made more of an impact to some hard to reach people. Sometimes it helped them seek further help.

"Wonderful!" The doctor extended his hand and gave Khziar a solid hand shake. "It's wonderful to see you here Dr-"

"Dr Khan." Khizar completed scanning the crowd.

"Thank you for volunteering your time. We know you must lead a busy life, but today is truly something special. Don't you agree?"

On the other side, Mahnoor stood at the table with Sheetal counting the leaflets she had to give away. Ayaaz sneaked away the moment he saw Amirah worried he'd get told off.