19. Mister Darcy Bent

Uploaded: 16 November 2013

Avi had always liked how the master bed of the Lamar house was positioned to receive the sun at the best part of the day.  He lay stretched out on his back as the midday warmth bathed his naked chest.  Lorraine left the widow cracked open and the sea breeze rustled the lace curtains, mingling with the scent of sweat and perfume.  At some point, Lorraine untied Avi’s hair and now occupied herself with running her hands through it.  Her own hair, blond and curly, had become frizzy and tangled, and fell down around her like some sort of main.  Her cheeks were still flushed.  Sighing, she rolled onto her back. “Tell me you’re staying, Darcy.”

“I might be,” closing his eyes, Avi folded his hands across his chest, “When does your husband get home?”

“He’s never home,” Lorraine wrapped herself around Avi, burying her face into his neck, “He’s abandoned me ever since those Irvines were brought here.  And now they have him working more just because that wretched king was killed.”

“How awful to leave you all alone like that,” Avi moved to put his arms around her.  When he first saw her, Lorraine was a shapely woman.  Three children later, her stomach developed a paunch and parts of her started sagging, but she did not let these things get in the way of her performance.  Avi may have been drawn in by the looks of a younger Lorraine, but constant effort to please him was what kept him coming back.  He was amazed at how much the woman was willing to do in exchange for a little affection.

Lorraine began stroking his hair again. “It is, isn’t it? I have to spend all day alone with the children and we never go out!”

“You deserve better, after everything you do. Should I speak with him?”

“No!” Lorraine shot up, “No! That could ruin everything! I could lose the children…”

Avi laughed, waving his hand. “You underestimate my subtly.”

Lorraine took hold of his had and began kissing his finger. “Oh no, my love. If he were always here then how would I see you? You come so little as it is.”

“I suppose that’s true,” Avi shut his eyes to prevent himself from rolling them. “So what is this business that keeps your husband away from you for so long?”

“Well,” she let his hand fall, “You know about the Irvines, but there is more trouble with them now.”

“Mmm?” Avi folded his hands across his chest.

“It seems they don’t know anything about what Mr. Irvine was involved in.  No, not quite, it’s that they don’t say anything about it.” Lorraine folded her arms. “They don’t say anything about anything, apparently. There’s a doctor with them who says the shock and grief haven’t worn off yet, but Henry still visits them to make inquiries.”

“A doctor?” Avi looked up at her. “What doctor? Who is he?”

“Oh,” Lorraine stared off out the window, tapping her chin with a finger, “Crispin Blythe is his name, I think.”

Avi wrinkled his forehead. “What does he look like? Have you seen him?”

Lorraine shook her head causing her tangled mass of hair to bounce around her.

“Did Henry mention anything about him? Is he a serious sort of person?”

She shook her head again. “No, why?”

“Name sounds familiar, I might know him,” Avi mumbled.  Or Sewell is in town.  Avi sat up, stretching. “You don’t happen to know any Council business, do you?”