The priestess raised her voice. "Do not waste my patience by playing dumb."

Gin clenched her fists, she already knew well the woman to have an idea of how much tension was under that skin. She wanted to ask that question, but on a better occasion. She had no choice. "Why do you fear that magical girls follow you?"

Izumi sighed, then looked at the girl. "Most of them have your age."

Gin was somewhat perplexed when the priestess smiled slightly.

"No, I would say they're even younger."

She looked like she wanted to get somewhere, but Gin had no idea. "And... they fight well against witches?"

Izumi looked away. "Some I found, yes..."

"It has to do with what you told me about the territories? You told me you would be just passing through. There would be no problem, right?"

"It's not that, it's not that simple..."

The yellow eyes of the girl noticed a light tremble on the lips of the priestess.

"I found many magical girls in my life and I can say that there is something in common between all of them," Izumi continued, "alone or in groups, novices or veterans... none of them are satisfied with their wishes."

"But..." Gin was confused. "But you didn't regret yours."

"There's more to a magical girl than her wish," the voice of Izumi sounded with more rancor, "I found girls that used their magic to take advantage, stealing and bring pain to people."

"I-It can't be," Gin stammered, appalled, "Why would they do that?"

"Why not?" Izumi looked back at the girl. "'Why not?'... It was exactly what one answered to me when I questioned her."

Gin lowered her head with that revelation. The world she knew about the magical girls was full of hardships, she had learned well, but this was another world, a world of shadows...

"So I killed them."

Shadows that projected even in that home, in that peaceful village.

Izumi grinned aside. "Yes, I killed them all. I felt better and more witches were left to me. Huhuhuhu..." She took a deep breath and shook her head. "An intoxicating mix of a desire for justice with living on. In the end... I'm not different from them, isn't it?"

Gin was like a statue, made of flesh and disillusion.

"I'm a murderer, that's my final lesson about magical girls..."

But there was something else, something that grew and burned inside the girl, who replied without shame. "You always wanted me to give up to be a magical girl. I won't! For more than you try with these lies!"

"I accepted to show you about the magical girls, never said I would allow you to become one," said Izumi in earnest, "I didn't lie, as now."

"No! NO!" Gin threw her arms in anger. "I will not wait any longer. I will not regret my wish as you didn't!"

"I don't regret it." More tense, Izumi lowered her head and spoke softly. "But I hate this life..."

Gin spat out the words. "If you hate, why not put an end to it?!"

Izumi swallowed hard.

"Why don't you do it?! What are you waiting for?! Why... Why..." The girl stopped, gaping.

While the priestess flinched.

Panting, Gin's eyes grew with what was about to say, "Because you needed someone in your place..."