4: Stitches And Miscalculations

"Twenty stitches, Max," I scold him as we walk out of the Metroburg ER, "Twenty freaking stitches, all because your stupid laser blew up!"

I look at him and the bandages scattering his face and neck. "And look at you! It's like you just shaved for the first time!"

He rolls his eyes, clearly annoyed. He already got a nice lecture from his mom, his sister, and his dad. He's probably just waiting for this all to roll over. I'm just waiting for him to do something else dumb and irresponsible.

"I honestly thought it was going to work," He says as we get into his family's van where we'll wait for his parents to finish paying for whatever his mistake cost, "I must have miscalculated or forgot a piece."

"Really? Is that all?" I ask sarcastically.

He nudges my side harshly, "Calm down, you didn't even feel anything."

"That's not the point, Max, what if I did feel it?" I ask pointedly.

He looks down at his lap, "Well I'd probably stab myself with a piece of glass."

With that my face softens, but before I can say anything, Mr. And Mrs. Thunderman come into the car.

"You're grounded, Max, this little endeavor cost us two hundred dollars," Mrs. Thunderman says, "And you get to pay it all back too."

"What?!" Max and I both exclaim at the same time.

"Two hundred dollars?" I ask incredulously.

"And I have to pay it all?" Max asks just as dumbfounded.

She doesn't even look in his direction, just keeps her eyes trained on me, "They had to give you some vaccine to keep whatever was in that experiment from infecting the wound."

I clench my jaw as I turn to Max who is avoiding eye contact.

"Okay!" He exclaims nervously, "Dad, can we get home please?"

I squint at him but look away, crossing my arms, careful not to mess with the bandage covering my injury.

"Yeah, yeah," Mr. Thunderman says uncomfortably, "Let's do that."

The entire ride back to the Thundermans was silent, an angry and annoyed tension had filled the van. All directed at Max.

I didn't like being mad at him, but he was a real idiot this time. More than the reunion fiasco that happened when we met. But at least that time I stopped him before he could do anything stupid. This time hadn't ended as well to put it lightly.

Phoebe greeted us at the front door, or more her parents and myself, she just completely ignored Max. But he was doing the same so it was like they were separated by an invincible wall.

She smiles widely at me, "I'm glad you're okay."

I nod and return the smile, "To be honest, so am I."

She giggles as Chloe teleports behind her and starts pulling her inside. I chuckle lightly at the enthusiastic youngest Thunderman.

Mrs. Thunderman turns to me as her husband heads awkwardly into the house, "Should I call your parents? Maybe give you a ride home?"

I shake my head, "No thanks, I should be fine, I'll tell them when I go home later."

She hesitates so I smile at her and she nods, "Okay then."

And she goes inside too.

Max sighs and comes up to me, "Ariel, I really am sorry about what happened. You know I wouldn't purposely hurt you."