Bursting into the conversation, I chirped, "Well, I think our schedules are too full for another lesson. Besides, Transfiguration awaits us." 

      The blond boy glared at me. "Adeline Robins, is it?" he asked, his lip curling slightly. 

     "Addie Robins, actually," I corrected. 

     The boy sneered, "I don't care about your name, less about who you are-" 

    I cut him off, "Good, because I don't care about your puny self either, so please let us pass or we will explode you into toast." I smiled as sweetly as I could. 

    The blond prick narrowed his eyes. "That doesn't even make sense," he said annoyedly. 

    "Neither does your existence, pal," I said flatly before dragging along a gaping Izzy and Will past the bruised entourage. 

     "Why are you so scared of them anyways?" I muttered, once we were out of earshot. 

     Izzy's eyes widened. "The Slytherins are the most powerful House after Tom Riddle took over," she whispered through her clenched teeth, "and whoever stands in the way of Tom Riddle gets cut down." Making a slicing motion to emphasize her point, I nevertheless rolled my eyes. 

    I felt a prickle of discomfort again. There it was. The answer to every problem in Hogwarts- Tom Riddle. Before I could ponder about it, though, we had already arrived at Transfiguration. A sprightly young witch named Professor Spilt; a substitute for Professor Dumbledore, was energetically ushering us into her classroom. Slightly bemused by her eccentric manner, I glimpsed a bunch of handkerchiefs embroidered with stitched flowers. "Your task is to bring the flowers out and transform them into a bouquet," she squeaked, her voice scraping my eardrums, "and who can tell me what the spell is?" 

   As usual, Tom Riddle raised his hand with the air of a perfect student. "It is Florvivus, and the spell must be done with a swishing motion in a counterclockwise direction to have the desired effect. Otherwise, the flowers will transform, but unable to form a perfect bouquet." 

   Professor Spilt beamed. "Excellent," she praised, "Ten points for Slytherin." Glancing towards the clock, she ordered, "You have thirty minutes left. That should be enough to create a decent attempt at the transfiguration. For homework, give me two rolls of parchment on the etymology of the spell and explain how it can be utilized in different situations." 

    The class groaned, but Professor Spilt was undeterred. "You may begin," she squeaked. 

    "Florvivus!" I said, swishing my wand in the counterclockwise direction, but the petals were drooped and wilted. 

      Izzy and Will tried, but both of their handkerchiefs exploded, pelting the students with a hailstorm of pollen. Grabbing another cloth, I tried again, "Florvivus!" 

    "You are saying it wrong," I heard a smooth voice besides me. Turning my head, I saw Tom Riddle on the other side, his eyes trained on my subpar performance.